2014 Ram 2500CTD 4X4 Height Issue

'Lil Guy'

Just went over to dealer to check on my new E289 5er to get measurements to set up my hitch. The lowest position is 13" from bed. Bed height is around 43 inches and the Kingpin height is 50". How much of a problem will this be? It looked worse backing up to my rig till I figured out the incline we were on and the leveling of the unit. They suggested turning the springs over. Not acceptable I don't want this thing jacked up. Is anyone towing with a truck like mine? I'll set it at the lowest position and hook up to see how it looks. My truck has a noticeable rake to it so maybe the position of the hitch will be a little lower. I'd hate to think I bought this truck with the 5th w prep and can't tow with it. All this coming from a complete rookie with 5th wheels. Maybe there won't be too much of an issue when it's hooked up. Thanks in advance.

ncrzrbk

I just got a 2014 3500 CCLB with 20" tires. Had the dealer install the factory prep with a B&W hitch. Came from a 2012 ram with 17" tires. My sundance King pin is at its lowest notch. Mine sits level as I did with 2012 ram. I too worried about it but it was all ok.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

DW_Gray

My hitch is set for about 10 inches of clearance. The pinbox will touch the bedrails during tight turns on uneven ground or dips.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

'Lil Guy'

I don't understand why it would hit the bed rails. Seems to me that the issue is how level he 5er is being towed. As in high in the front. Pease explain. They state that 5 1/2" is the min on clearance. Does your rig have less than that. Sorry for all of the questions but I'm totally new at this and probably will stress till I get hooked up for the 1st time.

danemayer

Hi Frank,

I was concerned about the bed height when we switched trucks from GMC to 2014 RAM 3500. The RAM bed was several inches higher. But when hitched up, the bed went down quite a bit under the weight of the pin box - more than the GMC did.

That 6" of difference you're measuring will probably go away - and maybe more. The lowest setting on the hitch might even leave you nose low with too little clearance between rails and trailer overhang. You won't know for sure until you hitch up the first time.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Baker, you have not even loaded the 5er yet. You need to wait until its loaded for travel before you start worrying. If you can get 6-7" between the bedrails and the 5er, you should be OK.

Jim.Allison

I have a 2500 HD and I have a heck of a rake (very noticeable) on the truck, my bed rails come NO-WHERE near the trailer or the pin box. In fact mine hitch is adjustable and I'm thinking about taking it down one inch so I can keep the trailer level and still have the rake on the truck. I cannot tell you how many off camber positions I have been in, and I have never been close to damaging my rig or my fiver. I pulled out of a river bank once, the first action was when the front of the truck climbed out, that created an extremely acute pinch between the cab and end cap of the fiver. There was plenty of room. Then when my back wheel climbed out the distance between the tailgate and the fiver created a pinch zone. Still no contact was eminent. Admittedly my approach was straight on and there was minimal camber, there was still enough room for some minor camber. It hard to have both in the same maneuver. If you are in these extreme positions, you need to have a spotter. But my rig has not caused me any concern as of yet and I have had it in some extreme positions.
Just went over to dealer to check on my new E289 5er to get measurements to set up my hitch. The lowest position is 13" from bed. Bed height is around 43 inches and the Kingpin height is 50". How much of a problem will this be? It looked worse backing up to my rig till I figured out the incline we were on and the leveling of the unit. They suggested turning the springs over. Not acceptable I don't want this thing jacked up. Is anyone towing with a truck like mine? I'll set it at the lowest position and hook up to see how it looks. My truck has a noticeable rake to it so maybe the position of the hitch will be a little lower. I'd hate to think I bought this truck with the 5th w prep and can't tow with it. All this coming from a complete rookie with 5th wheels. Maybe there won't be too much of an issue when it's hooked up. Thanks in advance.

'Lil Guy'

Good to hear. Just finished installing my hitch in the TV at the lowest height. Looks to be about 4 1/2 inch under the rails. In a wait and see mode till I hook her up. Maybe next Saturday. Still waiting on the new awning and lights to come in. The prep on the new Rams sure makes easy work f installing the hitch. Might not hurt to be built like Hans and Frans instead of an old man who's out of shape and his DW. Thanks for the replies.

Jim.Allison

One thing you might consider if you are running towmax tires is to divest yourself of them in favor of a good LT tire. In this manner you can let your EZ-Flex equalizer do the distribution between your axles, your trailer can ride a LTITLE high in the front without throwing much load to the rear axle of the fiver. But the towmax tires are not capable of supporting the rig in the first place and they surely cannot take any load being distributed off the front to the back axle.