Cannot get DVD to work on TV

srae

We have a new 3150 RL and are out for the first time and trying to play a DVD. We have Sony DVD play and cannot figure out how to get it to play on the television. What in the world are we doing wrong? I'm sure it has to be easy...the wires all seem to be correctly connected.

Thanks,
Srae

jimtoo

Check your TV remote control for "source" or something like that. I don't think they make them just to play on ch 3 anymore.

danemayer

The TV might have 3 or 4 or as many as 8 different inputs. You have to select the one the DVD player is connected to.

Boca_Shuffles

Check to see if the DVD is even connected. Your choices are the old red, white and yellow cable, the red, green, blue (and red, white) cable, or HDMI cable. You then have to pick the appropriate cable in the TV Source Menu.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
It is probably as simple as pushing the 'Input' button on the TV remote, then choosing the correct device (try them all) . . .

However, you would be best served to buy a BluRay DVD player and an HDMI cable, then plugging it in to the TV with the HDMI cable, then choosing the correct input from your TV remote . . .

Then you will enjoy trouble free DVD viewing and sound through the built-in Jensen DVD-stereo unit from this point on!

I no longer use the built-in Jensen DVD player, even though I still use the Jensen stereo unit for the sound!

But they way . . . I replaced the stock speakers with a good set of speakers . . . those stock speakers are junk!

TXTiger

First make sure your DVD player is plugged into one of the TV's inputs correctly. Should be something like AV1 or if you have HDMI it would be HDMI1. Then using your remote press either imput or source on the remote depending on what your remote has and tune the TV to the same imput. Your choices may be air, cable, AV1, AV 2, HDMI1 HDMI2 etc. The DVD should be either AV1 or HDMI1.

pcardoza

X2 --- Our Cyclone 4100 came with the DVD connected to the wrong TV connections. Some Quality Assurance procedure they have.....

First make sure your DVD player is plugged into one of the TV's inputs correctly. Should be something like AV1 or if you have HDMI it would be HDMI1. Then using your remote press either imput or source on the remote depending on what your remote has and tune the TV to the same imput. Your choices may be air, cable, AV1, AV 2, HDMI1 HDMI2 etc. The DVD should be either AV1 or HDMI1.

I boughta3150 DS in May and I have never got it to work. The store I bought it from can't figure it out either. They ended up sending me a new and different unit to install myself?!

needless to say, I still can't watch dvd's on it.

If you get it working please post what you did.
Jeff

kdog21

We just picked up a 2014 Road Warrior 390 and can't play any DVD's either. I know the problem. They ran old style and cheap RCA type cables, the yellow for video and red and white for audio. Problem is the newer TV's in the camper don't have RCA jack inputs. So the installer just plugged the yellow video cable into one of component video jacks, this won't work, Component videos are capable of HD signals and need 3 cables for colors. I can't believe this could be done so poorly. The solution is to pull an HDMI cable through the wall, seems doable in living room. I'm not sure how to do it in the garage because I don't know how to get at the cable behind the radio / dvd player. Called Heartland, they promised to look into it and call me back. Still nothing from them. Called local dealer to fix and they can't LOOK at it for 7 weeks.

danemayer

We just picked up a 2014 Road Warrior 390 and can't play any DVD's either. I know the problem. They ran old style and cheap RCA type cables, the yellow for video and red and white for audio. Problem is the newer TV's in the camper don't have RCA jack inputs. So the installer just plugged the yellow video cable into one of component video jacks, this won't work, Component videos are capable of HD signals and need 3 cables for colors. I can't believe this could be done so poorly. The solution is to pull an HDMI cable through the wall, seems doable in living room. I'm not sure how to do it in the garage because I don't know how to get at the cable behind the radio / dvd player. Called Heartland, they promised to look into it and call me back. Still nothing from them. Called local dealer to fix and they can't LOOK at it for 7 weeks.
Hi kdog21,

What's the make/model of your TV and your DVD player?

kdog21

Not sure of the model numbers since camper is in storage. I know LR TV is a 50" Sansui, Bedroom and garage are 32" Legend. LR DVD player is a non blu ray Sony. Garage DVD / radio I think is a Boss.

danemayer

Not sure of the model numbers since camper is in storage. I know LR TV is a 50" Sansui, Bedroom and garage are 32" Legend. LR DVD player is a non blu ray Sony. Garage DVD / radio I think is a Boss.

Can't be sure without a model #, but a quick search for 50" Sansui turns up the Sansui website showing a 50" TV with HDMI, Composite, and Component inputs. Legend specs show HDMI, Composite and S-Video.

So although you'll get better results from HDMI, the problem with playing DVDs may not be that there's no composite input on the TVs.

Some people have found the TV menu set on component and that it needs to be changed to composite.

kdog21

OK, here's the story. Thanks to danemayer for inspiring me to revisit the TV's. Turns out one of the correct yellow composite input connection is actually shared with one of the 3 component video inputs. That is why if the component input is selected, I was getting a bad black and white picture. Both the sansui and Legend TV's are the same way and they work if the input AV is selected.