2-12v batteries and inverter

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
I am thinking of adding another 12v battery to my BH3055. I will also wire an inverter to run the frig while traveling as I do not feel safe running propane while on the road. I ran an inverter on my last 5er with a single 12v but after about 4 hrs the low battery alarm sounded. As the frig was very cold I would turn the inverter off for two hours to let the battery get a full charge and then turn the inverter back on. Will 2-12v batteries give a much longer running time? I have heard that 2-6v wire in series for 12v works better. Anyone tried either setup?

ct0218

I have two 6V in mine and it gives me a lot of run time. But, you really shouldn't have a problem running with the propane on.

regan

Regan
Use two 6 volts

I agree with Clark, forget the two 12 volt, you wont be happy with the result. Two 6 volt will give you much longer run time. I have traveled with fridge on auto for years, with Bighorn and Alfa, never had a problem. If you are nervous just make sure that flame is on fridge when you stop.

fivernine

There is no problem running the refrigerator on propane while traveling--or the gas water heat or camper heater for that matter. They are capable of operating in the wind and motion. We have logged thousands of miles with all running. The only time you need to turn off the propane is going through certain tunnels that are marked as such. It's nice to arrive at your destination with the rig warm, water hot, refrigerator cold and plenty of battery power.

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
Thanks for the advice. I will use 2-6v when I set up my inverter. Call it my up bringing but with many years using propane in business, we have always required all propane operated units to be turned off and regulators removed before towing. Most of my camping buddies run their rigs on propane while traveling but I quess I still worry about pulling an inferno if there was a leak in any part of the system due to vibration or motion while towing.

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
superduty, I run 4 6 volt batteries in our 3055 and can go 7 days on battery with no recharge. You have to be thoughtful of power usage but we find it not a problem. We have put in a couple of flouresent fixtures to save amps. Looking at some LED lights also.
Rand

Uncle Rog

Hey Rand, are you still using that catalytic heater? That sure saves a lot of "fan" time and power..............Are you still in the desert?

theharveys

You will also likely want to remember to turn off the propane if you have to stop and refuel the TV. Dragging an open flame past the gas pump island may result in quite a fireworks show.