Factory TBC (Trailer Brake Controller)

I have several questions for everyone out there.
Have any of you replaced the Factory installed TBC (I own a 2011 F-350 but I'm talking any brand) with the Prodigy P2 or P3 model?
The reason for the change and the results.
I have my gain set at 10 and sometimes it feels like I don't have much brake.
I had the factory TBC on my 2005 F-250 and had it back to the dealer a few times and they always said the TBC was working fine.
Really don't want to spend money at Ford dealer with this truck and be told same thing.
I want to up grade to Disc Brakes next year hoping for better results.
Any advice welcome.

Hockster

Gary521

More than likely, the problem is with the brakes on your unit and not the controller. How well are they adjusted? What is the condition of the brakes themselves or the drums? Just turning the drums and using SELF ADJUSTING brakes makes a world of difference. Properly working and properly adjusted drum brakes work just fine.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Gary, I agree with Gary, I sounds more like a brake problem than a controller problem.
You are on the right track......installing disc brakes.

Peace
Dave

TXTiger

I have a 2012 Ford F-350 with the factory break controller. Mine is set at 6 or 7 and works just fine. I agree with the others that it may be the breaks on your trailer that need a look at.

porthole

Retired
The 2011+ FORD TBC's are probably the most advanced controllers from the factory available.

But, I could see that using a Prodigy controller in the past, that the Ford TBC may not seem as good, especially when using the boost mode, or with very light brake application with electric over hydraulic brakes.

At low speeds the factory TBC has an approximate 20% reduction in braking to help minimize tugging in stop and go traffic. Some may find that lack of tug annoying.

Some other features:
Ford's original "TowCommand" TBC was engineered in conjunction with Tekonsha (Prodigy)
Hydraulically activated, there is a pressure transducer that sets things in motion instead of a pendulum and brake light switch. So trailer brake application is directly proportional to pedal pressure.
Anti lock braking is available when towing the trailer (although not individual wheel application as on the truck)
Trailer sway control
Hill assist works with the trailer attached
Programmable for electric or electric over hydraulic trailer brakes
Tapping the trailer brake controller does not disengage the cruise control (a plus in my book), but does activate the brake lights. Good for signaling a "thanks"

If you are hitting the brakes hard and the control is going to 10 and you are not stopping - perhaps you are not getting full voltage back to the trailer.

I Just had the wheel bearing packed & new grease seals.
I told the dealership about the brake issues, they checked everything out and said everything is OK.
They pulled it behind their shop truck and it stopped great.
I do have self-adjusting brakes.
I have an appointment with Mor-Ryde in June after the rally to install Kodiak Disc Brakes and Mor-Ryde I.S.
This has been an ongoing issue, but I hate to change the Ford Factory TBC.
Just waiting for June and Mor-Ryde.
Just looking for opinions.
Thanks to all.

Hockster

brianharrison

Have you tried manually engaging the brake controller? - ie slide the controller manual lever to full on, above 15 mph. Does the trailer tug the truck?

Brian

MCTalley

The factory brake controller on my 2013 Ford DRW is set to 10. I can stop fine, but I've never been able to lock up any wheels on the trailer when manually engaged. Has been that way since new, including my old 2002 truck with a Prodigy controller set to max.

I've assumed that the drum brakes just aren't up to the task of locking up under full gross weight (our trailer tips the scales at 15,500). Next spring is brake and bearing time, so we'll see then.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Re: Factory TBC (Trailer Brake Controller)...

My Trail Runner is not a 5th-wheel, but it does weigh in at 8000 pounds.

My truck . . . a 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, also has the built-in brake controller.

I have mine set at 3.5 and gives me just the drag I like.

Set at 4, the brake controller will lock up the brakes on dry pavement.

I think my controller tops out at 9 . . . I'll check it tomorrow.

'Lil Guy'

Are we talking about old school drum brakes. Self adjusting or not, they need to be set. Been so long but I think you adjust them out till you feel the wheel start to stop. You want some drag on them before the adjusting starts. If you've installed new shoes and not adjusted them out till they start to engage (drag), you have no brakes.

Thanks Malcolm (MCT) you have hit the nail right on the head.
What you have described is exactly what is going on with me, same trailer weight and everything.
You have verified that it is probably a trailer brake issue.
I had the self-adjusting brakes installed a couple years ago to correct the problem, no joy.
Disc Brakes in June after the rally.
I hear ya Cookie.
I guess I don't understand RV manufactures not installing Disc Brakes as standard equipment on all trailers, like the auto industry has done with cars and trucks.
I would gladly pay a little more for a huge increase in braking ability.
I hope Heartland is reading this.
I don't mean one or two brands, but the entire fleet.
Be the first manufacture to do this, it would be a huge selling point.
Thank you all for your input, I now know I'm not the only one with this problem.

Hockster

jnbhobe

Gary, disc brakes and the best option you can put on your rig,you will be able to stop faster with the trailer than without it.

Georgia46

I have a 2012 Ford F-350 and a 2013 Heartland BigHorn. I have just paid for the 2nd set of brakes, drums, the whole works, 1st set put on 10 months and 6k miles ago. Sounds impossible right? That's what everyone says, but I made them keep looking and testing until they finally found the answer! The truck is giving a constant 212 mii volt and .3 draw on the trailer brakes - now I have an appt. with Ford Service on Monday(8-17-15). Hopefully Ford to replace my TBC at no cost to me and give me some of the $3900 that I've spent on brakes. Has anyone else had this issue? Any advice on what to say to Ford? Sometimes I think they see a single woman and think they can get away with anything!
Also, when I was thinking that there was an issue with the alignment I did some research on a product called "Correct Track" - has anyone had any experience with that?
Thanks in advance!

danemayer

I have a 2012 Ford F-350 and a 2013 Heartland BigHorn.

I did some research on a product called "Correct Track" - has anyone had any experience with that?
Thanks in advance!

Hi Georgia46,

I don't recall exactly when Heartland made Correct Track standard, but your 2013 Bighorn may already have the factory installed Correct Track. If you look at the suspension hangers by the wheels, you'll see cams that look like the picture below.
Correct Track Cam.jpg

If you don't have these, Lippert sells an aftermarket version. The intent is to allow you to compensate for variances in front to rear axle tracking caused by having uneven weight distribution. The aftermarket version raises the coach by 2", which might require a matching change at the hitch or pin box.