Residential Fridge

srae

We are out in our new 3150 BG and it has a residential refrigerator with ice maker. It is to get in the 30s and we are wondering what other might have done if/when it freezes with the ice maker. Should it be drained or what? Thanks for any info.

Srae

srae

Thanks we will look at the guide. If we have any more questions, you'll be hearing from us!! LOL

EPaulikonis

Not that I plan on camping in freezing temperatures in the near future, but I figured I'd insulate the line early. I picked up some of the thermal wrap w/aluminum exterior to wrap the water feed line to the ice maker since it was completely exposed under the slide on my Landmark. I then added a layer of 1/2" foam pipe insulation as well. Sealed up the pipe insulation with electrical tape every 3-4" all the way to where the lines disappear on each end.

We are out in our new 3150 BG and it has a residential refrigerator with ice maker. It is to get in the 30s and we are wondering what other might have done if/when it freezes with the ice maker. Should it be drained or what? Thanks for any info.

Srae

danemayer

Not that I plan on camping in freezing temperatures in the near future, but I figured I'd insulate the line early. I picked up some of the thermal wrap w/aluminum exterior to wrap the water feed line to the ice maker since it was completely exposed under the slide on my Landmark. I then added a layer of 1/2" foam pipe insulation as well. Sealed up the pipe insulation with electrical tape every 3-4" all the way to where the lines disappear on each end.
Insulation won't provide much protection. The insulation will just slow the loss of daytime heat as the temps drop. Also keep in mind that if water in the line starts to freeze, the ice may wick up into the coach causing an interior leak.

Bohemian

Insulation will help in a heated trailer and do nothing a winterized trailer.

EPaulikonis

Understood and didn't mean to imply that insulation alone would keep the line from freezing if it was not winterized properly. I drained all the lines for winter. I used compressed air rather than running antifreeze. I also store the unit inside, so it doesn't get quite as cold.

I did the same process w/2-layer insulation on a fixed mobile home last year when temps dipped down to -17 in OH. Kept the 70 feet of water line plumbed totally exposed (previously) under the trailer from freezing since. I'm sure I'd provide a wind barrier w/hay bales or some other type of skirting around the entire rig just like the mobile home skirting to trap heat if I was using the rig for cold WX camping.

I figured the electrical heat wrap for drinking hose application would actually be too much for the much smaller refrigerator line. What other options (beyond insulation and pipe wrap) are out there for someone using the rig in freezing or below temps?
Insulation will help in a heated trailer and do nothing a winterized trailer.

danemayer

I figured the electrical heat wrap for drinking hose application would actually be too much for the much smaller refrigerator line. What other options (beyond insulation and pipe wrap) are out there for someone using the rig in freezing or below temps?

The only reliable technique I'm aware of is to evacuate the water from the feed line and close the cutoff valve so it stays that way.

EPaulikonis

It is 1/4" poly tubing and it's routed through the frame under the kitchen slide on an articulating arm. There is an external drain valve mounted on the frame ~2 feet from where the Poly comes outside of the coach. There's probably about 7 feet total of line exposed before it routes up through the slide floor and into the fridge.

Curious. What material is that exposed icemaker feed line? Poly tubing? Pex tubing? PVC pipe?

B

BouseBill

For a coach designed for full-timing I'm a bit disappointed in the way the Ice maker/water line was installed. I like my evening cocktail with crushed ice, here pretty soon I'll have to winterize the water line and do away with the ice maker....here in Arizona it does freeze quite frequently from around Christmas time to a few weeks into February.
Another item on the "what were they thinking" when the designers let that through:(. The wife says it must have been designed by......a man, cause a woman would have been smarter than that, ;)