Logging On

BluegrassMan

I have a simple question, but it keeps nagging me; so I'll put it out there. Jim would probably have the answer. Here Goes.

When I log on, why doesn't the software keep my password (on my end or yours)? All other sites or forums that I am registered, As soon as I type in my username the password fills in. I have checked then unchecked then rechecked the box for remembering ME.

It's no BIGGY or anything, just curious.:confused:

Cheryl

Do you have "cookies" enabled? I do and I don't have to type in my user name or password. I open the forum and I am already logged in.

Last edited:

jbeletti

Denny,

"Most" of the time, I never have to re-log-in. I am using the Firefox browser. Depending on the browser, cookies can be enabled and disabled by site. So it is possible for your heartlandowners.org cookies to be disabled.

I use the Firefox browser. I looked at my cookies and I have 6 different ones for this site alone. With Firefox, I have no site exceptions on my cookies exceptions list.

Another thought could be your Internet Security settings. Let us know what browser you are running and what Internet security you are using (Norton, McAfee etc.) and perhaps we can help you figure this out.

Jim

BluegrassMan

Logging on RE: Cookies

Hi All: I just went to Internet Properties, checked, I didn't see a turn on or turn off Cookies. Just Java scripting On or Off. Am I looking in the wrong place.

I'm using explorer with no (Norton or Macfee) My Internet provider has Virus,Bug shield,etc. as a service. Bit I'm not affected in say (5thwheelforums and others)

Like I say, It's no big deal, just wondering.:confused:

Denny

Cheryl

Try this with Internet Explorer:
Click on tools
Internet Options
Privacy
Advanced
Then you can choose to allow all cookies or only the ones from websites you want.
On the same screen advanced is on,
click Site
Check to see if www.heartlandowners.org is already there, make sure cookies are not blocked.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Dusty

when I first logged into the forum, my computer asked if I wanted it to remember my password for this site, and its a rare occasion that I have to enter my name or password. I seem to always be logged in anyway., guess thats because I always forget to log out????

Dusty

BluegrassMan

Hi Guy's n' Gal's:

I went into tools,etc. last night. I enabled first party and 3rd party cookies. I haven't been on this site since trying these settings. Maybe after this time it'll work. We'll have to see.

P.S.Thanx Cheryl for the heads up.:)

BluegrassMan

Hi Gang:

Cheryl, nope it still doesn't keep my password. I'll just keep getting on the way that I do. No problem,:confused: Denny

Cheryl

That should have worked. I checked my Internet Explorer and it logs me in automatically. I use Netscape on a regular basis. You can download it for free if you want. Did you check to make sure that you don't already have //heartlandowners.org/ blocked?
Tools
Internet Options
Privacy
Sites
Managed Web sites
If it is there and always blocked, simply click it to highlight and then click remove.

BluegrassMan

Hi Cheryl:

I just now went "Exactly" where you said to go. I have "ALLOWED" cookies on this web site. I probably have to restart the ole' Dell for that to take place. Because it didn't prompt me if windows is to remember the password, and it didn't keep the password when getting on the forum to log in.

Did I mention that I have a handicap ? I'M BLONDE:D

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
When I used to browse the internet at work, no passwords would be saved as my employer had a global setting for all PCs that would not allow passwords to be saved. However, if you are using a personal PC, this would not be the problem.

BluegrassMan

Hi Cheryl:
I just got on a few minutes ago. NOPE ! I still have to physically have to put in my password. No Biggy ! I'll just let this subject die.:(

Dusty

I have been using Mozilla Firefox with lots of success. I like it much better than IE and it seems to be a little faster than NetScape. It also isnt as hackable as the other two., saves my passwords too.

Dusty&Linda

PS: you can get tons of computer information at www.komando.com

Kim Komando has radio shows all over and you can listen to her or you can read all kinds of information and send a question through email as well.

BluegrassMan

Hi Cheryl:
I visited the Netscape page and took the tour. It looks pretty good, I didn't download it yet. But I probably will. Thanx;)

Cheryl

Your welcome, glad I could help. That's why we are all here - to get and give! I don't know what the newest version is. but I use 7.2 and it is really user friendly.

jbeletti

"Remember Me" now defaulted to "checked"

Denny,

With the current version of the forum, I have now defaulted the "Remember Me" option check box to "checked" by default. No idea if this will help you but perhaps...

For those who would prefer that this forum not remember your login name, please uncheck the box.

Thank you,

Jim

BluegrassMan

Logging on

Hi Jim:

Saw that you were on at the present time. I really don't know why it doesn't retain my password. Everythings fine on Fifthwheel Forum and other forums etc. I just got used to punching it in each time, NO BIGGIE.
Denny:rolleyes: