Converter went bad

Documentation with my 2007 Sundance RK lists Progressive Dynamics as manufacturer, but the one installed is WFCO (world freedom company), which is another Chinese imitation, apparently. Mine stopped working while on an extended trip, so I'm having to charge the batteries with a portable 10 amp.

Dealer in Havasu suggested replacement with a different brand. Anyone have suggestions about whether to have it changed out (my expense) or replaced with same unit?

Seems like most of the components in this model are made in China. I'm wondering how much of the trailer I'm going to have to replace with reliable parts.

Johnm

I wanna go camping - NOW
I'd bet more parts are made in China than we want to know. But, I bought the rig because I liked it, it fit my budget and it looked like, and is, a quality built unit.

ct0218

Mine died too, and if you're in it all the time then sending it off for a warranty replacement is out of the question. I bought a new one (Parallax Paramode w/tempassure) to replace the Progressive Dynamics that was overcharging. I do like it better. I found a dealer in SW Florida that had great prices, and I had it in 2 days.

jbeletti

Clark, did you have the Charge Wizard with your PD unit? I added it to mine in my '05 and never had trouble with it overcharging (3 years). I had the 80 amp converter.

The new Landmarks come with 60 amp converters and no option to upgrade. Not sure the brand used in them now. I have seen some of the WFCO units used in the other lines.

Jim

ct0218

Yeah, I added the Charge Wizard to my 9100 (?), I think the factory changed over to the 9200 with it installed. Anyway, it just didn't stop the overcharging. My battery drank more water than I did! That is when I went with the two 6V, the 12V was cooked. The new converter seems to be a more advanced unit, temp sensitive, etc. I'm going to send the PD back for repair, keep it as a spare.

jbeletti

I used my PD with 2 Trojan T-105s from the start. Maybe those heavier plates helped me with the charging. I watered my batteries 2 or 3 times a year using the Pro-Fill system. Thanks for sharing your experience. Maybe you'll get lucky and PD wil be like Fantastic Vent and warranty it regardless of age :cool: Good luck.

Jim

ct0218

I had the battery fill system, can't remember the name of it at midnight, but it took 6-9 bulb squeezes every week. Warranty or not, I'll have them repair it. One of the neighbors may need one for a short time, etc., small and light enough to haul around too. You may have hit on something with the duals from the start. Two can absorb overcurrent much better, and possibly the single battery could have been bad and contributed to the problem with the PD unit. So many variables to really know for sure.

brunomisty

Sundance Owner
Documentation with my 2007 Sundance RK lists Progressive Dynamics as manufacturer, but the one installed is WFCO (world freedom company), which is another Chinese imitation, apparently. Mine stopped working while on an extended trip, so I'm having to charge the batteries with a portable 10 amp.

Dealer in Havasu suggested replacement with a different brand. Anyone have suggestions about whether to have it changed out (my expense) or replaced with same unit?

Seems like most of the components in this model are made in China. I'm wondering how much of the trailer I'm going to have to replace with reliable parts.

Are converter went bad after 5 months. We have a 2008 2900MK . Luckly the dealer had a replacement in stock We too had the WFCO converter

ct0218

I remembered the name in the middle of the night, that is what I had too. It really works great, and is a lot better than pulling out a tray with 2 heavy batteries and topping off the water.