Awning LED lights

Rodbuster

I have a 2014 Landmark Grand Canyon with two large awnings, (the main one and one over the entertainment center) with LED lighting under both of them. I started losing a few lights under the main awning, then a few more and then a few more. It will have 3 or 4 or 5 lights out in a row and then a strip of good lights and then another series of bad lights.

The lights under the other awning were OK up until yesterday when I noticed the same thing is happening to that LED strip of lights.

I'll be calling customer service tomorrow to see what they say.
I'm hoping that they send me replacements and that I can replace them myself.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Are there any "tips" that I should know about to replace these strips?
What is causing these lights to fail in the first place? (My RV is stored indoors)

Thanks for any help
Dick

GWRam

On our Gateway the same thing happened. Heartland sent a replacement light strip. Be forewarned the light strip is one straight piece. Not to be bent. We received a 21 foot long cardboard tube 8inch in diameter. Delivered by 18wheeler deliver service. It arrived safe. I haven't installed it yet. Haven't been able to get 3-5 friends with ladders together at the same time. It doesn't look as though it will take bending without breaking. Wire connection,on our unit anyway, should be simple.
Dave

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Had same issue with ours in our Key Largo. Heartland sent out replacement light strip with no issues however it was just the LED light strip, no black track as mentioned in above reply. Simple replacement, old LED strip just pulls out of mounting track and new one is pushed in.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have order two sets of the led strip lights under warranty and they both showed up wrapped around a small roller delivered by ups not anything similar to gwram. It is a straight forward install and a trained monkey can do it if I could. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Rodbuster you were lucky to have gone this long without having to replace the led light. Ours came from the factory bad which the dealer immediately caught on their pdi workup and ordered a whole set. Seems that HL has had a trouble with them for awhile.

SilverRhino

On our Gateway the same thing happened. Heartland sent a replacement light strip. Be forewarned the light strip is one straight piece. Not to be bent. We received a 21 foot long cardboard tube 8inch in diameter. Delivered by 18wheeler deliver service. It arrived safe. I haven't installed it yet. Haven't been able to get 3-5 friends with ladders together at the same time. It doesn't look as though it will take bending without breaking. Wire connection,on our unit anyway, should be simple.
Dave

If I read this correctly....the actual LED strip of lights slide into a track. The track is mounted to the coach, as opposed to glueing the light strip directly to the side wall. Does anyone happen to have a picture of the track? What are the dimensions of the track? Wondering if a 1 cm wide LED strip would fit in this strip.

Thanks for any assistance.

SilverRhino

Answered my own questions.....did a search on the internet and found numerous styles of LED strip light mounting options in numerous styles, colors and covers. Most of these sites probably more reasonable in price than buying them from HL and they also come in more convenient lengths. :eek:

FiremanBill

I installed my own on the rear of my cyclone as well as under the awnings. I also put some in my truck bed. You can get them in 16' rolls on Amazon in any color and water proof fairly cheap. If you are handy with a soldering iron the possibilities are endless.

SilverRhino

I've seen the strips, multi color with control for about $25 on eBay. What I want to do is mount the strip on my awning roller. Found track that is only 1/4" in depth with a clear cover on the internet. My idea was to mount that to the tube and then slide the light strip in. We use our awning a lot and I do all the cooking outside, so I wanted to mount it on the roller to shed light on tables and grill. I'm also thinking about doing some under coach strips for ground effect lighting.....When parked!

FiremanBill

can't find any pics of the trailer right now but here is what I did to the truck.

Attachments

• 10346209_955938777755271_4993710892800687720_n.jpg
    10346209_955938777755271_4993710892800687720_n.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 71

SilverRhino

Bill.... Really like you bed lights! I had done something very similar on my previous truck prior to having the Hauler Bed built. They also work great in truck bed tool boxes... fit nicely in the folds of the aluminum for good lighting.

Nice job!