Towing a 2015 3160 Heartland 5th wheel camper.

Eddie

I'm new to the forum and new to 5th wheel campers, we just purchased a 2015 "3160" 5th wheel camper, I'm now in the market for truck to tow it with, was wondering and open for suggestions on what other owners were using.
Thank you,
Eddie

danemayer

Hi Eddie,

Congratulations on your new rig and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

The Bighorn 3160 has a GVWR of 15,500, and although the empty pin weight is shown as 2,095, you should plan on an actual loaded pin weight of around 20% of the GVWR, which would put you closer to 3,100. Add to that the weight of your hitch, bed liner, bed cover, tools and cargo carried in the truck, pets and passengers and you could have a payload of close to 4,000 lbs. That would put you into a late model F350 or GMC/Dodge 3500.

To get a more precise answer, let me suggest you visit Fifth Wheel Safe Towing, a website developed by another Heartland owner.

And let me also suggest that whatever truck you look at, before buying, find out the actual payload and fifth wheel towing spec on that exact model/configuration.

diamondl

A little over a year ago we bought an F350 dually, the dually part almost by accident. This was done to match the upgrade from a Montana to our Bighorn 3260. Didn't think we wanted a dually, all of the standard reasons, like more tires to replace etc. Wow!!!! I should have done this a long time ago, Such a difference I cannot explain. Like so many other things, always bring enough truck!!
Lester

JanAndBill

For the difference in price, go with the one ton, you won't be sorry. I've towed with a SRW in a 3/4 ton, and there is no comparison to my F350 on stability, especially when passing or being passed by big trucks and buses or in bad cross winds. Can't speak for the SRW in the one ton, but I've been told the DWR is still more stable.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
My last 2 trucks were a GM 2500HD D/A SRW...same trailer. I finally stepped up the 3500HD DRW. WOW, what difference in heavy cross winds. The difference in price was $2K. Best money I ever spent. As far as tires...I have 50% left with 30K miles now. 2WD or 4WD is up to you. 4WD dropped my GVCW by 500# to 30,500K. A 3500HD D/A 2WD is rated at 31K. That's more truck that you would ever need. Fords GVWR are about the same. Don't get the "camper special".''just get trailering package. Dodge...you have to read their ratings truck to truck because they are not all as advertised...but close. Don't buy a gasser no matter what a salesman tells you. Danemayer could enlighten you on the new Dodge trucks. JMHO

marcusweeks

20140620_140317.jpg

because I had the truck already when I upgraded to this, I just added airbags and ran it. From texas to nh. I averaged just over 10 mpg with plenty of power. its no race horse by any means, but when it gets up to speed it'll maintain it. as for not being a dually i just use quality tires maxed out pressure wise. But I definitely think the long wheel base helps.