Awnings??? Deluxe slide awning??? HELP!!!

We just purchased a Big Horn 3580 RL and are being asked by the dealer if we want A. awning center support w/cradle B. Standard slide awning C. Deluxe slide awning (heavy spring/fabric).
We have absolutely NO CLUE to what they are talking about...but it seems to us it might prevent water? from coming into the slides???? Should we get one or the other, or neither???
Please help us decide.
Thanks again from Bill and Bridget

jbeletti

Hi Bill and Bridget,

Does not sound like he is ordering the factory slide out covers as I am not aware the factory is offering 3 choices.

There are two slide out cover brands that come to mind: A&E by Dometic and Carefree. Heartland uses the A&E brand (no cover, no center support).

Here's some links that may be helpful:

DometicUSA - A&E Slide Out Covers

Carefree of Colorado

I suggest you get the brand and model/style name from the dealer. Don't let them rush you into this decision. My guess is they are offering you the factory standard and then two of the Carefree choices.

Best of luck,

Jim

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I didn't look up the 3580 to see how long your awning is but if it's under 19-20 feet, you should not need a center support. Our 3400 has a 14 ft awning and it's not needed for sure. As for slide topper awnings it's a matter of choice. Some folks have them and love them. We have never had them. We have never had water enter the coach either. We have, on occasion, had to get on a ladder to sweep debris off of the slide outs. Good luck with your new Bighorn and welcome to the forum.

jimtoo

I didn't look up the 3580 to see how long your awning is but if it's under 19-20 feet, you should not need a center support. Our 3400 has a 14 ft awning and it's not needed for sure. As for slide topper awnings it's a matter of choice. Some folks have them and love them. We have never had them. We have never had water enter the coach either. We have, on occasion, had to get on a ladder to sweep debris off of the slide outs. Good luck with your new Bighorn and welcome to the forum.

I totally agree with Ray.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your new Bighorn. If you need help, all you need to do is ask, someone here will provide you with the information, or the place to get it.

Jim M

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Just my 2 cents, but I had slide awnings on the motorhome and is was a mistake not to get them with the trailer purchase. They're worth the money in my opinion, and we will be adding them this summer.
Besides, I'm the one that has to sweep off the slides, and I don't like to do it.:)
Deb

sealman

We live in the Houston area and keep our 5er setup full time at the lake as our get away. The slideout covers keep it cooler on the inside.
John

Thanks guys and gals. We ordered the Deluxe Slide Awning

Hi and thanks,

We ordered the Deluxe Slide Awnings (Heavy spring/fabric) for our coach. Our dealer said that they don't come as long as one of our slides is on the new 3580RL. (191"), so he'd just would order the 2 for the other 2 slides. (3 slides all together on this coach)
I asked, well, can't you just put 2 smaller ones over the big slide instead of none?? He said....hummm, then asked the guy that does it and he said, "That's a really good idea!" I know there will be a bit of a gap between the awnings over the large slide, but heck, it's better than nothing! (I hope).
The company is AME Dometic by the way. Very cool web sight. Just google it.
Thanks again for all the help everyone.
Bridget