Slide-out wood trim (vertical end trim cap) repaired using Brad Nailer

jbeletti

We had a couple of...um..mishaps. Nancy stored a sleeping bag next to the sofa in the rear cap area that slid forward during travel. Later, when she ran the slides out, the rolled up sleeping bag got wedged between the trailer side wall and the vertical trim on the slide-out. She didn't notice until it was too late and the entire vertical decorative wood trim camp pulled off the slide-out.

This cap is made off-site as a complete unit and it brad nailed to the each end of the slide-out at the factory. I carefully pulled the long brads out of this trim cap from the back side, then wedged the cap back on. It was a tight squeeze to get it between the carpet and the wood trim at the top of the slide.

Once in though, it has stayed put for a couple thousand miles.

The repair was easy though, using a Hitachi brad nailer, powered by my Husky Air Compressor.

I used 1-5/8" brads. This was the first time I have ever used an air-powered tool (besides filling tires). I like it! I chose the Hitachi (from Lowes in Asheville, NC while travleling) model for its size (smaller) and its range (3/4" to 2" brads). I really wanted a combo unit that shoots both brads and staples but the length of brads it would shoot was limited (too short).

Another repair I made using the brad nailer was the wood arches above the pocket door. On our current trip, one of the arches fell off. The other one felt loose too so I took it out. The brads were too short to pull them out through the back of the arch trim pieces so I nipped them off, bent the tiny nubs over and pushed them into the wood making them flush.

Using longer (1-5/8") brads than was used at the factory, I nailed the arch trims back on. I used quit a few more brads too.

Since so much of the trailer trim and wall panels are put together with brads and staples, I think the brad nailer will be a good investment.

Jim

Dusty

Yeah Jim,

We went down that road too, except it was one of the surround sound speakers had fallen off during travel and was up agains the slide and wall where my lovely bride couldn't see it, so when she ran the slide out, you know what happened. We took it to the dealer and had the trim fixed, but now we make sure we know where all the speakers are before we run any slides out.

Dusty&Linda