Slide electrics

Hi everyone. Appreciate your suggestions to trouble shoot the reason the electrics for the ceiling lights and pot lights (12 volt) are not working inside the large starboard dinning/living room slide. None of the fuses indicate they are blown. The slides have been out and everything worked as normal and one day, nothing! None of the lights work! Pls advise your suggestions to troubleshoot this

danemayer

When checking fuses, the LEDs illuminate if 1) the fuse is blown and 2) there's a load on the circuit. The switch has to be ON when checking. Also, when fuses are suspected, it's always a good idea to remove the fuse and check with an ohm meter.

But it seems more likely that you have a bad connection somewhere - as already said, maybe under the slide. Check for a junction box that might have 12V as well as 110V coming in.

Thanks everyone. just a quick update ...... spent the afternoon tracing wiring harnesses and "finally" found the 12v wires that comes out of the frame under the starboard slide. I had to gently pull the wiring and shield out of the frame as both the 12v and 120v lines come out of the same small hole from inside the frame and found that one of the 12v wires had completely corroded out of the small "marrette" connector. There was barely enough wire that could come out of the frame to re-attach to the connector. The next time I will need to remove the belly basement plastic panel to access more wire. On a side note, I checked the 120v wires that went into the sealed junction box mounted on the frame under the slide and found the box full of sand and the wires very corroded and discoloured. I was not able to remove the marrette connectors as the wires were so brittle they broke off as I started to remove the marrette. I cut back the wires about 1 cm, cleaned them and re-connected with a replacement marrette. I applied a bit of liquid gasket material to the box edge and fastened the cover. All a bit disconcerting but happy I found the broken 12v wiring. We have lights again! (O:

jbeletti

....found that one of the 12v wires had completely corroded out of the small "marrette" connector....the sealed junction box mounted on the frame under the slide and found the box full of sand and the wires very corroded and discoloured....wires were so brittle they broke off......All a bit disconcerting....

Kleis,

Do you know the history of your unit? Wondering if the previous owner used/stored the unit for long periods of time in beachy / salt air area.

danemayer

Where are the fuses for the slides located in a Heartland Fairfield. Does anyone know?

Hi cdncrib,

I don't know the specifics for the Fairfield, but on most models, the slides get their power through 12V mini-circuit breakers located near the battery. They may be covered by a rubber boot. I've attached some pictures.

Attachments

• Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    477.3 KB · Views: 15
  • circuit breaker reset.jpg
    circuit breaker reset.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 13
  • circuitbreaker.jpg
    circuitbreaker.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 19