Maiden Voyage, the good and bad

We took our brand new 280BH for a one night trip, just to get acquainted with it and to get it loaded and organized.

Good: towed like a dream behind our 2007 Ram 2500 diesel 4X4, seemed very sturdy using the factory stabilizers, well insulated -- a small electric heater was more than enough heat at 40 degrees outside. All appliances worked great, love the half time oven, and the hot water was steaming hot.

Bad: When I plugged a lamp into the outlet next to the bed, the outlet completely punched through the wood. This will require a trip to the dealer. The cushioned top railing on one of the booths popped off on one end. I tried super glue with no success. This will also have to be repaired. One of the knobs on a cabinet broke off. Super glue handled this. I noticed the trailer seemed to be leaning in the area of the back bunks but thought the site was to blame. However, when we got it back to storage, it is still leaning. I don't know if a full holding tank would cause this? The dealer filled up the tank and we can't figure out how to empty it.

I do love this trailer and I know I am going to enjoy future trips in it. But having several things break the first day was a bit disappointing. I still think it is a great value and has a fantastic floorplan that is much nicer than the other toy haulers we considered.

CampingJunkie

So sorry to hear of your issues. We just took our 28BHS out for the first time weekend before last without any issues at all. The positive is that the issues you mentioned are easily fixed. If I remember correctly, the drain for the FW tank is near the door in ours. It is sitting in storage right now so I can't go out and look to be sure.

Hopefully your next trip out will be uneventful. Check your PM for a message from me.

Jennifer

JER-1

Dealer said my 280 bh is off line just waiting on delivery

Man I feel for you that much money and you don't expect stuff like that to happen the first night out. I will really look mine over before I accept deleivery and sign for it next week.
I would have them check that frame also I'm not new at this and don't know it all but I think the holding tank holds 42 gals. times water wt. I think is about 8 lbs. what ==336 lbs minus whatever you used and still leaning ? Somthing smells wrong there.The frame under are new trailers is supposed to be really strong I can't see that happening normally I would really look at that hard personally. But I will let you know when I get mine I'll fill er up and look for the same and let you know.
Let us know what the dealer or northtrail says:mad:
JER-1
PS I might be wrong but I thought the water holding tank is under one of the dinette seats over the axle

medic9016

The drain for your fresh water tank is to the left of the steps about 18 inches back. The tank is on the door side right above the wheel well. I was not too happy with the cushion covering the bench seat either, I was afraid it was going to come off also. I used three 3/4 inch L brackets to reinforce it.

Is you foot board on the front queen bed reinforced? On our '08 after pulling the bed out a few times it was real loose. We reinforced it with 6 inch L brackets.

Over all this is a good unit, hope you enjoy yours like we do.

Thanks for the responses, especially the tips on how to empty the fresh water tank! Jer -- hopefully, I just got a jinxed unit. Everyone else seems extremely pleased with the quality which is why I felt comfortable buying it. I will post back when I find out why it is leaning. I got a message from North Trail and it sounds like they are going to be proactive working with my dealer on these issues. Great customer service is another reason I chose this unit! Medic -- I had read one of your earlier posts and was expecting to have problems with the bed but didn't. I'm going to keep an eye on it, though. Thanks for the tips on the brackets.