shnozzle - Propane Refill Adapter

teasac69

Has anyone seen this device? own one? using one? I'm a bit concerned about using one because of the inherent dangers related to propane but no more than they cost I bought one to help me evaluate it. The whole purpose is to refill the small 1 lb propane canisters vrs throwing them in the landfill. This is an adapter that you can use to plug in to a 20 lbs propane bottle and then screw a 1 lb bottle into it and flip it over and fill the 1 lb.

there is a great video on the ebay site and you tube and you can watch it done. I'm just asking if anyone has knowledge in this area and/or used one of these devices.

******* do not mistake this for an endorsement, I'm asking if you know anything about it??? ********

The concept sounds almost too good to be true. However, I want to know if anyone who really knows these bottles and how they work to know if this is really a dangerous procedure. Yes, I know messing with propane can get you blown up, frozen fingers, etc. The instructions are very explicit and the danger looks to be minimized but I'm going to look and listen until I'm comfortable these are safe.

thanks,

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
This is an interesting concept, although I just can't see how this can be something safe to do in our own homes, garages or RV's.

However, I am really surprised that there is not some kind of a turn-in program for these little green tanks that we all know and love for them to be refilled and/or exchanged!

We used to use those little green tanks a lot when we had our old trailer as nothing worked in it, so we always used our outside camp stoves (for not only cooking and grilling, but also heating up the dish washing water), but now we only use them for our little grill.

In the old days . . . maybe 6-10 of them during the camping season . . . last summer, only two of them (and one still half full)!

f250dieseldad

Camping world sells a tee to install on the coach supply tank and a long hose to feed your grill or any other propane device. I bought the parts at Tractor Supply for half the cost and made my own. I think this is a lot safer than trying to refill bottles.

Wharton

We have used one for years and never a problem. Hunters use them on a regular basis and that is where we originally heard of them. We only refill a green canister 4-5 times before we get a new one. I don't see much difference in filling the canister ourselves vs. filling the big tanks. We only use the refilled ones for the barbeque, never inside the trailer.

That said we just bought a squat propane tank for the barbeque as we were getting tired of refilling the green ones.

Agree there should be a recycle program for the green ones.

Gaffer

I used one once to fill a few little green canisters. I thought it was a PITA and never bothered again.

Bohemian

1 lb propane tanks are designed for single use and disposal.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/48006-Refill-disposable-propane-bottles

bigdob24

I have one. Cost about $15 if I remember.
You first chill the one pound cylinder then hook it up,turn the 20 upside down ,open it up for about 1 min and its full, close the valve and there you go.
I don't think it gets them 100% full but close. It's good if you use a lot of cylinders.
Of coarse do this outside.

Cjackg

I used one of these to refill small canisters for several months but finally one of the canisters l had filled caught on fire around the neck when I was using it with a lantern. At that point I was done & threw away the adapter!