Electrical Mgmt system install advice sought

teasac69

I want to add a Progressive electrical mgmt system to my 3875FB. I would like to know the best location for this device to be installed with the least needed change to the unit. I want to protect my trailer from bad power high or low and believe my research has shown this one to be the best choice and want to install it to work automatically.

thanks

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Re: ATF: Bighorn - Electrical Mgmt system

I don't think the factory will give you an answer on this.
There are many on this forum as well as other forums that have installed the Progressive EMS.

In my opinion all you need to do is get a length of 6/3 with ground.
Disconnect the existing cable from the breaker service panel and install one end of your new cable in its place.
Then mount your EMS wherever you see fit.
Connect the new cable and the old cable to the appropriate sides of the EMS.
Be sure that all screws are tight on the wires.
Project done.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

If you use 6ga. SOOW, it's more flexible than the THHN. But it's a little trickier to get into the connectors since it is a finer strand and likes to catch. It's diameter is a bit thicker, too, but it works.

I recommend you mount it where a possible water leak won't get it. Consider relocating your converter to where you can access the fuses, the fan is not obstructed, and it's protected from leaks.

Installing the suppressor is relatively straightforward, the problem is working in a tight compartment, like the basement if you install it there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

donr827

Just to throw this into the conversation. I have used the portable one for 10 years on three different trailers. This does lead to a possible theft but I have had no problems. There are ways to hide it from wandering eyes..............Don

teasac69

I don't think the factory will give you an answer on this.
There are many on this forum as well as other forums that have installed the Progressive EMS.

In my opinion all you need to do is get a length of 6/3 with ground.
Disconnect the existing cable from the breaker service panel and install one end of your new cable in its place.
Then mount your EMS wherever you see fit.
Connect the new cable and the old cable to the appropriate sides of the EMS.
Be sure that all screws are tight on the wires.
Project done.

Peace
Dave

Thanks Dave, I wasn't really expecting a blueprint or step by step, just hoping they would address in my specific floorplan model, where might be the best place to locate and have necessary access to wires. Where my breaker service panel is located is near the front door and I've opened it up and there's just no room to do that. I've already bought one of the portable just to have the protection while I'm trying to learn where and how to install a built in. I'd rather not have to think about that every time I'm ready to plug in.

I am semi-handy with most things, a little less with electric but I did wire a 50 amp plug into my breaker panel in my shop and put the box on the outside wall so I can plug my trailer in to my shop and have 50 amp service. Sooooooo, I guess I'm handy "enough" to do this job but just not sure where and want to make sure I don't screw something up. I've only had this unit about 6 weeks and don't want to melt it down.

thanks for the response.

Tim

jnbhobe

Pull the wall down in the basement and you will find lots of places to mount it, Mine is on the side of the steps.

scottyb

I agree, just open up that area and decide where is the most convenient place for you. Remember that there is a bypass procedure if the EMS fails, and you want to have access to it to perform this. Also, I found that I like the remote display mounted in the basement next to the UDC, so I can immediately see what's going on when I plug into a pedestal and flip the breaker. It would be nice to have the optional 2nd display to mount inside but my primary concern is when I 1st plug in. I also agree about the SOOW cable. It is so much easier to work with.

wdk450

I installed mine right next to the transfer switch on the crawlspace floor. Because I have an inverter backup system, I wanted the EMS BEFORE the transfer switch. I disconnected the shore power input feed from the transfer switch, connected the shore power input feed to the EMS input. I connected the EMS output to the shore power input on the transfer switch with extra cable. Then I ran the remote readout wiring inside up to the power control panel area, and mounted the readout there.

BTW, about a year later (this summer) I had the EMS fail during a heat wave. I got a replacement circuit board from Progressive, but I think (due to my 40 years as an electronics technician) that the sealed box needs some ventilation for the electronic components on the circuit board. I drilled small holes in the case bottom and cover in line with the circuit board, and remounted the box to the floor with 1/2 inch nuts as standoffs to allow convective air circulation.

olcoon

A somewhat good electrician has forgotten more than I know, but I installed one in our Elk Ridge & it worked right off the bat. I researched this forum (there is a thread about the installation in here), plus I got on Progressive's website & there are some pretty good instructions on there. I've done a lot of projects that were worse. I'd advise zip tying the plug for the converter into the plug in as they will sometime come loose.

sengli

put it somewhere in the basement area, off the floor. Also while your at it, move your converter off the floor too, cuase if you have any leaks those items wont get wet.

Attachments

• IMAG0253.jpg
    IMAG0253.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 37