Question about slide destroying drawer in a Gateway 3300ML

Chippendale

The answer to this is probably posted somewhere already, but since I am new to the forum, the Heartland Owners Club and also to my new 2014 Gateway 3300ML, I haven't found it.

During the PDI, I was told that there had been a problem with the drawers in the base cabinet to the right of the refrigerator opening in transit and then being crushed when the slide was opened. He said to be sure they were tightly closed before closing the slide. Since I was made aware of the problem, I double checked to be sure they were all closed before leaving on my first trip. I don't guess I need to go into what happened to the bottom drawer when I tried to open the slide.

My question to 3300ML owners is, how to you keep your drawers closed in transit?

Will appreciate any suggestions, and am sure I will have more questions soon about Gateways in general and 3300MLs in particular.

Thanks

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the destroyers club.
It's important for me to open the slides to the point where I know things can get caught up and the check the area before continuing.
That lesson cost me a cabinet door and some J-wrap.
A lot of people use the childproofing gizmos that kinda hook the doors or drawers and prevent opening.
Others will chime in here with more ideas.

Peace
Dave

Birchwood

We have two recliners(after market) that some times recline during transit and as a consequence will
jam the operation of our slides.Before I ever open a slide the recliners are checked .

danemayer

I also make it a practice to open the slides just far enough to walk back and check that nothing has fallen into the path of the slide.

FARMER45

I had a BH 3585 slide killed a drawer, the catch had not been installed on the drawer at the factory

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We have these type catches on our drawers. There is NO WAY they can open on their own. They come in 5lb and 10lb.48098.jpg

Chippendale

Good morning TravelTiger:

Where did you get them? I looked online last night and could not find anything like it. Found a magnetic latch with a 7.5 pound pull, I would think that should keep the drawers in.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Good morning TravelTiger:

Where did you get them? I looked online last night and could not find anything like it. Found a magnetic latch with a 7.5 pound pull, I would think that should keep the drawers in.

Our dealer installed under warranty when I complained they were coming open and rubbing the island. But under the fridge, we added two. It takes a really good pull to get that drawer open now! I found them at a local RV dealer, but here is a listing:

http://www.dyersonline.com/rv-designer-cabinet-door-drawer-push-latch-5lb.html

They also have the 10lb.

Pricing is about what I paid, and I haven't seen it lower. But they work great!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
"Pony tail" ties work to keep cupboard doors closed when they have opposing knobs. A small rubber backed throw rug rolled up will keep lower drawers closed. They work for us anyway......but we ALWAYS check for anything open BEFORE the slide out button is pushed.

Garypowell

Chip,

Not sure if you have done this but I would call Heartland to see if they will replace the drawer. On my current 2013 model when it was new I destroyed an upper door by the TV when I brought the slide in. I called them to get a replacement (planning to purchase) and I was told I was allowed one mistake. So I received the door free.

Chippendale

Gary, glad to learn that I am not the only drawer/door killer. My rig is brand new and under warranty, and this is not the first time, as it has happened in other rigs. When I went through the PDI, I was told that the drawers could come out in transit, and to be sure they were closed tight. Before I left, I double checked and they seemed tight to me. I am thinking about getting some heavy duty magnetic latches/catches to put on each of those drawers and the cabinet door that end up behind the slide when closed. The fascia board on the slide is so close to the drawers that it is hard to tell if one of them is open. I will be more careful in the future, I try to learn from my mistakes.

I was on my first trip (shakedown cruise). I also found a small round crack about the size of your little finger in the bottom of the bathtub, guess that will mean a new tub. Also, had a black tank draining experience kind of like the one Robin Williams had in "RV", only not quite as bad. The fitting where the grey tank drain feeds into the black tank drain was not sealed well and you know what sprayed out under the trailer. That little problem is supposed to be fixed today, and I am to pick it up tomorrow for a second "shakedown cruise".

From what I am reading, I think my drain problem is the same as the person with the "First 24 hour horror story", only I am in Central Texas so mine isn't frozen.

Jimnkarens

We have been taking a dish towel and looping it through the drawer pull handle so that it rests against the refer door when the slideis brought in.