Mr. Heater Portable Buddy Propane Heater

mobilcastle

Anyone have any experience using this type of heater. I am not sure I would leave it unattended or run it at night even though it has an oxygen sensor. They seem to be very efficient at nearly 100%. Thanks
Steve

51Fp5yqOMpL._SL500_SS100_.jpg

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have the Mr. Heater Big Buddy and I can tell you that is does throw a lot of heat without any odor.
Efficient for sure.

I use it for purposes other than in the RV.
I think that some people do use these heaters for their coach.
Might be worth testing, and if we don't hear back from you we'll know it didn't work out. :)

Peace
Dave

Kbvols

These are great heaters. I have used in my camper in the past however never left on overnight. I also use in our cabin and have let it on overnight as it is a larger space then the RV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bohemian

We use an oil filled electric radiator type heater with built in thermostat and tip over shutoff. Have for decades now.

Lynn1130

We use it on cold weather hunting trips for those sleeping in the garage. It works great and it is best kept on the low setting as it will get pretty warm especially for whomever is sleeping on the top bunk. Plus it extends the propane use on that setting.

GOTTOYS

I use one to heat my garage at times. You do need to provide fresh air as it does burn up your oxygen. I've had mine shut off in my garage due to low oxygen levels. I don't think I would trust it to do that in a trailer while I was sleeping. You also need to provide propane to it from a tank outside as it will go through one or two of those little one pound bottles pretty fast if you have it turned up...Don

szewczyk_john

I own three of these as we lose power a few times each winter . We run them in place of our furnace and pellet stove in the house during winter and carry one during the early spring trips. They take the chill out of the trailer in no time and are very safe. mine also have a tip over protection in addition to the O2 sensor. You need to be very careful were you place them for use. In our SOB trailer, during our first usage we lit it and placed it on the stove figuring that would be a safe place for the heater. In no time at all the plastic trim around our overhead microwave began to warp from the heat. They will instantly take the chill out of a cold trailer and in my opinion, they are much more efficient than the furnace.

I will also mention that for use in the house, I have hoses that will allow me to run these from any 20 or 30 pound propane bottle. I have used them overnight and have no concerns but I try to avoid that when possible. I use two 20 pound tanks to supple propane during power outages but you can also run it off one tank by using a "T" connection feeding 2 separate lines.

Miltp920

I use one for hunting. Makes alot of heat. I use with 20 lb tank mostly. Worked when I stored it, but it will not light this year. No gas flow. I am thinking regulator failure. Anyone ever have one quit working after storage? I am hoping I can get it fixed soon, cold weather is just around the corner here in Michigan.

whp4262

I have the Big Buddy heater and have used it occasionally and have been happy with the performance. I have run it all night in a large tent but not in the camper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ICamel

I used that model of the Buddy Heater for a number of years and the only problem I had was keeping it lit. I discovered that it wanted the filter attached to run correctly even when using a hose that did not leach out oil. I eventually replaced it several years ago with an Olympian Wave-6 heater which is a true catalytic heater. I wish that I had spent the extra money on the Olympian in the first place. I did and do use the Buddy and Olympian for comfort heating overnight. I do keep a couple windows open approximately 1/4" for oxygen replacement and also have two CO detectors (one of which has a digital readout) in the trailer so I know I will not be CO poisoned. On my last trip at the end of October the Olympian ran 24/7 for 5 days due to dry camping in cold weather.
Anyone have any experience using this type of heater. I am not sure I would leave it unattended or run it at night even though it has an oxygen sensor. They seem to be very efficient at nearly 100%. Thanks
Steve

View attachment 32966

Crumgater

We use ours when awake and boondocking to save on battery power. Our batteries are getting old, so running the furnace over night will drain them - we use the Buddy to "pre-heat" the RV before going to bed, then switch it off and turn on the furnace while sleeping.