Gateway 3650BH converter location

GWRam

I have my basement torn apart (walls down water lines disconnected) while I redesign my UDC with new valves/shower/heater bypass valves. I was fully expecting to find my converter right behind the wall and under my plumbing like I read about in a lot of postings. Nothing there. I called Heartland and they said its behind the wall and I assured him it is not. Then he said it is under the steps to the master. I assured him that it is not there either and he says it has to be cause that is where they put them. Its not there.

Our unit is a 2014 Gateway 3650BH built 16 Sept 2013. Anyone have any ideas where they would have tucked away the converter? Or any ideas on where I would start looking for the converter?
Thanks,
Dave

danemayer

Draw an imaginary line between battery and fuse box. It'll probably be somewhere near that line.

GWRam

Ok, that would take things all the way back to aft of the kitchen area over the rear axles. I'll pull open some pantry cabinets tomorrow and see what I find. Would not have thought it would be that far from the battery.
Thanks

adlaird

It's in the storage up front where the batteries are. Attached to the back wall of the storage just behind the kingpin. That's where ours is at least (2014 3650BH)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GWRam

With the tips provided I found the converter/charger. Mounted inside a cabinet on a piece of board 2ft off the floor. Only way to access is to remove the breaker panel. Since I had power on the camper at the time I didn't remove the panel. At least I know where it is and know it's away from water. As hot as the furnace gets I am surprised that the converter and the breaker panel are within a foot of the furnace. I may block them off a little in the future to keep the heat down.
Thanks for the replies
Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are six days and nights into our 2015 gateway 3650BH. We noticed a whirring sound that goes on and off every 3 to 5 seconds. The sound comes from behind the breaker panel and from other posts I've read it is likely the power converter making the noise. When I flip off the "conv" breaker the whirring stops. We are plugged into 110 with a surge protector that confirms polarity, etc is as it should be. My question, Is this constant whirring normal? It's not loud, but loud enough that after a few days we began to notice it...becomes annoying like a steady drip drip of a faucet does. Any thoughts?

Jaak

We have been plugged into shore power for two days and haven't been able to stay in it as of yet due to the converter and the battery isn't staying charged. We have located the converter but still have to remove the breaker box to pull it out and check the two fuses that are connected to it. I still don't understand why it is draining the battery so quickly when we are (a) plugged in and (b) had the battery fully charged with none of the lights running. Battery and converter problem?

branson4020

Icantre Member
The converter cooling fan is what you are hearing. It cycles on and off as necessary, but once it comes on, it should stay on for several minutes at least.

danemayer

We have been plugged into shore power for two days and haven't been able to stay in it as of yet due to the converter and the battery isn't staying charged. We have located the converter but still have to remove the breaker box to pull it out and check the two fuses that are connected to it. I still don't understand why it is draining the battery so quickly when we are (a) plugged in and (b) had the battery fully charged with none of the lights running. Battery and converter problem?

Hi Jaak,

If you're plugged in to shore power and the battery isn't charging, it could be a converter problem. It could also be a tripped 12V mini-breaker near the battery. I've attached some pictures that may be helpful. The breaker connecting the battery to the converter has a teeny-tiny manual reset button. Feel along the bottom edge of the breakers to locate it.

If that's not the problem, take a look at our owner-written 12V Block Diagram and Diagnostic Guide. If you have a voltmeter, it'll help you run down the cause of the problem.

Attachments

• Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    477.3 KB · Views: 35
  • circuit breaker reset.jpg
    circuit breaker reset.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 30