Taking Delivery in 2 Days - Inspection Inputs Would be Appreciated...

I am heading out to pick up our newly built 3650BH. This is our 1st 5er as I have been progressing upwards from tent, to pop-up, to travel trailer. Yep, we are all pretty excited. I want to try to contain the new rig "pick-up excitement" and focus on what I need to when I am doing the walk-thru. I would appreciate all input on any 'gotchas' any of you experienced post delivery. I have read through the threads and will ensure all drawers slides, latches work well, and the master closet door is aligned correctly. Anything else?

Of note my rig is configured with king size bed, slide out awnings, upgraded refrig/freezer, dinette w/theater seating, washer/dryer, and six-point automatic leveling system. I also decided to coat the rig with the Xzilon due to the 5 year warranty that it provides - anyone have pros/cons on that choice I made? According to what I read the paint will look new for years to come with no fading....

Also - my quandary is that I am picking up in OH and the temps are already getting below freezing. I will be heading to GA immediately after pick-up. The rig is already winterized - should I have them hook up to water at the dealer to test everything or am I safer in keeping it winterized due to freezing temps as I head south? I do not intend to set up camp on the way south so there is a chance it would hit freezing either while I am driving or perhaps overnight if I have to stop at a hotel.

Lastly - is the winterizing process pretty straight forward on this rig and how many gallons of anti-freeze will this one take?

Thanks to all that respond!

jbeletti

...Also - my quandary is that I am picking up in OH and the temps are already getting below freezing. I will be heading to GA immediately after pick-up. The rig is already winterized - should I have them hook up to water at the dealer to test everything or am I safer in keeping it winterized due to freezing temps as I head south? I do not intend to set up camp on the way south so there is a chance it would hit freezing either while I am driving or perhaps overnight if I have to stop at a hotel...

I would have the dealer un-winterize the unit and have it connected to water and power before you arrive. Ask them to fill the propane tanks and have the furnace and water heater on as well. In this manner, manufacturing oils can burn off the furnace while you're not camping in it. You will know it works. Same for the water heater. Ask them to have it on propane and running before you arrive.

Check all faucets, toilet, shower etc. with water on. Also look under each sink and behind toilet to check for any drips. Ask them to have the utility wall removed so you can put a light back there to review things and check for any water drips. Do yourself a favor - as you look at each PEX connection at each water using item, put your hand on the fitting and snug it up.

Have a friend video tape the walk through or assist you in making notes.

Ask the dealer to plan to re-winterize the unit before you leave with it. Don't forget to winterize the outdoor shower until air or antifreeze comes out of it.

If you ordered a washer/dryer, you may NOT want to turn on those water valves to test. Winterizing the washer is a bit more involved that you may want.

If you have the residential refer, you may want to try the water in the door / ice maker. The cut-off is generally under the kitchen sink. Check for pinhole leaks in the ice maker line. Pull the bottom drawer out from the stack of drawers to the left of your refer (if so configured). Often times, the line runs under there. Check with a flash light under the front of the refer. Check the frame area under the slide the refer is in and look for the drain valve (if so equipped) and where the line goes into the frame. Again, checking for leaks. Note that if you decide to do all of this, you will need the dealer to properly re-winterize the refer. I'd suggest air instead of antifreeze, but that's just me. Some are not comfortable with air-only and the dealer may have no interest in it.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
In addition to what Jim said, be sure to check the fitment of all the doors and drawers.
If your rig comes with a remote to operate the lights and slides, be sure to get a demo for that.
Also the six point leveling system is pretty simple, be sure to get a demo for that as well. It's an awesome option to have.
Since you have already owned a TT you will know the importance of proper inflation of the tires. Take a gauge, don't take their word for it.

And most importantly be sure to enjoy your new rig.

Peace
Dave

sengli

TO WINTERIZE OF RIG OF THAT CALIBER...YOU WILL NEED ABOUT 3 GALLONS OF ANTI-FREEZE. Definetly check everyting to do with the water system. Especially behind the UDC, and the connections on the backside of the shower valves, and under the kitchen sink.

GWRam

All good ideas so far.
Bring your own antifreeze or buy from the dealer, as sengil mentioned it shouldn't take more than 3 gal.
Have them show you how to winterize so you don't have to figure it out on your own some cold winter eve.
We have already had a few nights below freezing here in GA.
Have them show you how to winterize the unit as an owner not through the main water hose connection the dealers usually do which is faster for them, but using the hose coming off the onboard water pump which is behind the basement wall.
Making sure you rewinterize the outdoor shower and also don't forget the outdoor kitchen. Depends on the frig, if you don't have ice maker lines there shouldn't be any thing required for the residential frig. as far as winterizing. The upgrade residential frig a year ago didn't have an ice maker they may offer that now.

Think everything has been resolved with the inverter by now. But just to make sure, at some point have them pull the AC power off the unit and while on Batt power only make sure the inverter runs the main frig.

Open the glass cabinet doors over the recliners a couple of time. They have a habit of coming off the hinges until you fix them properly.

Also before running the slides in and out open the outside rear bathroom door and make sure the inside bathroom door to bunk house is closed, ours had a habit of poping open when extending slides till we remedied that issue.

Have them demonstrate all the tvs preferably over the air and through cable. most of our coax connections were loose and some where not connected.
Don't forget to stow and strap the main living space TV before retracting slides you will hear a sickening cracking sound if you don't. Don't ask me how I know. TV is kinda out a site out a mind.

Open and close everything more than once.

Have them start and run the stove and oven.

Depending on the temp you may or may not be able to run the two AC units. At least have them show you all the thermostat features and operation on both thermostats. Master bedroom thermostat isn't tied to the furnace only forward AC unit but you can use the fan to move air through whole unit AC duct to circulate warm air during winter.

On last biggy at least on our unit and all the 3650BH I have seen on the dealers lots, Check the flooring in front of your Refrigerator, from the exterior wall trim when slide is out to where slide stops when retracted. Check for slide wear marks on the flooring, rubbing, scraping and/or cutting into the floor from the slide area under the frig.

Do not know anything about the coating you put on your unit, maybe someone else will comment on that.

We Love our Gateway 3650BH have had it 13 months now and have been out in it all year round. Its been great. Hope you enjoy yours as much as we do ours.
Dave

A thousand times over thanks for all the excellent inputs! Am I safe to assume a solid 4 - 5 hours for a thorough test, walk-thru, etc.?

Dave - why a Curt Q24? I put a Curt 16 on mine and now I hope it was correct....

Thanks again everyone....Darrin

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
why a Curt Q24? I put a Curt 16 on mine and now I hope it was correct....
Darrin, no need to fret over your 16K hitch.
The GVWR of your new Gateway is 15,500. So you are still under the 16K rating of the hitch.
A lot of people opt to spend a little more for a bigger hitch to leave room for expansion in the future if a bigger rig is purchased.

Peace
Dave

GWRam

Am I safe to assume a solid 4 - 5 hours for a thorough test, walk-thru, etc.?

why a Curt Q24? I put a Curt 16 on mine and now I hope it was correct....

Darrin,
The longer you spend checking out the unit the better. I like to arrive early and stay late. You don't need a constant chaperone from the dealer. Once they have done their walk through with you let them go and then walk around and through the unit give your self an hour or two then have them come back and ask any questions you've come up with or show them anything you have concerns about.

Your Curt 16 should do an excellent job for you. I've been very happy with my Curt. My choice was partly as cookie said in his post, If I ever decide to get a heavier rig I can keep and use my Q24 and partly that I have a tendency to over build things. Same reason I changed out the Blow Max E 15k lbs. factory tires with Continental HTL2 J rated tires that can carry over 19K lbs.
Dave

Once again, thanks to everyone. I am at the town where the dealer is located and will do the walk-thru tomorrow. I stopped in late this afternoon to just check on things and I am so happy with this rig...1st time walking into one! Yep, I bought this via the web, pictures, questions, etc. over the course of the last two years. So far I am very please and actually the initial walk-in exceeded expectations. Thanks to all...Darrin

ketah777

We are doing the same thing! Went from tent camping to popup to travel trailer and now taking delivery on a 3650bh in a few weeks. Glad you received such great responses on here, I'll be taking this advice when we do our walk through. Please post back when you get a chance and let us know how everything went. I'm encouraged to hear that you like it now that you've been in it because we did the same thing... ordered without ever being inside one. Made me a little nervous to do it that way but there weren't any nearby to look at. Anyway, I hope all goes well, enjoy!!

Bones

In addition to what Jim said, be sure to check the fitment of all the doors and drawers.
If your rig comes with a remote to operate the lights and slides, be sure to get a demo for that.
Also the six point leveling system is pretty simple, be sure to get a demo for that as well. It's an awesome option to have.
Since you have already owned a TT you will know the importance of proper inflation of the tires. Take a gauge, don't take their word for it.

And most importantly be sure to enjoy your new rig.

Peace
Dave

Dave How do you know if your rig came with a remote to operate things? Is this an option on the 3650BH?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know which rigs come with a remote, as some do and some don't
I recall reading that if your rig comes with a remote it will, or should, be in the blue zippered information bag.
Perhaps someone with a new Gateway will have that information.

Peace
Dave

Bones

I don't know which rigs come with a remote, as some do and some don't
I recall reading that if your rig comes with a remote it will, or should, be in the blue zippered information bag.
Perhaps someone with a new Gateway will have that information.

Peace
Dave

OK Thanks I don't think I have one but was wondering because the dealership asked me the same thing about the remote when I told them some of my outside lights were not working.

etcmss

have them demonstrate operation of the heater and the air conditioning for 20 to 30 minutes or until you are satisfied. If the dealer doesn't do this well, for an extended period, you may get a unit that even the factory didn't operate long enough to see the short cycle failure. Mine was a heater not staying on and the control board problem never seen. Took delivery in summer so no focus was able to be placed on the heater.
Get the air to cool the unit off well and then let the heater operate well to warm it back up.
Gary

ketah777

Hello, if the original poster sees this, would you mind posting an update on your delivery experience and overall experience with your RV so far? We are taking delivery on our new 3650bh tomorrow. Very excited! Just made a checklist from this post so we know what to look for. I hope you are enjoying your new rig!

teasac69

I don't think enough of an issue is made of re-torquing the tire lugs. Someone did mention tire pressure which is critical obviously. I had to go buy a new gauge because nothing I had would go up to 110 lbs. Hopefully you're getting the better tires but either way, any new rig you should check the torque on the lugs within 50-100 miles of take-off and then again every 150-200 miles for the first 1,000. IMHO. You need a good torque wrench because all that checking is GOOD, as long as you're checking the torque and not just feeling and possibly overtightening.

Good luck and happy Rving, hope to see you around a rally one day.

jimpav

One of the first things I would buy/install is a power management device fromProgressive Industries, or other reputable company. All it takes is one plug in to a campground pedestal that's wired incorrectly ,or suffering from low voltage to ruin your day, and possibly appliances or other electrical devices. It would be nice to negotiate for the device before ever leaving the dealer lot.

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
We took delivery a little over a month ago. I when down at 9:00am and did not leave till 4:00pm on pickup day. I had them take me through their version of an inspection and it was pretty comprehensive but my unit was the first one this dealer in Albuquerque had ever sold. We bought a Landmark Ashland and the dealer was La Mesa RV Center. I spent over a week making sure I knew how every component and device worked before driving down. Here was my check off list:

Slides - Put them out and check that they are fully out. Put them in and then check to make sure they are totally in and that there is clearance from cabinets, beds, etc. If you are on shore power disconnect and make sure that all slides work off the batteries.

Refrigerator - We have the Samsung Residential Unit so there is no gas to check but do make sure that it runs on shore power and also off the inverter (batteries).

Microwave / Convection - Need to make sure you have all parts and that you run it in both microwave and convection. Get a ceramic cup and fill with water. Run at high for 60 seconds and the water should be pretty warm if not hot. On the convection set it for 425 degrees and let it warm up It will take a while but make sure it reaches full temperature.

TVs - Turn them on and make sure you can access local channels. If you have a DVD player put a DVD in an make sure you use the remote and test all functions.

AC - Turn them all using the thermostats and make sure they are getting cold. Set the temperature to a higher temperature and make sure they go off.

Furnace - Check the furnace just like the ACs making sure they go on and off using the thermostat.

Water - put water in the water tank (do not fill all the way) turn on the pump and make sure after it charges the system that it shuts off and stays off. If it stays running or comes on once a while you could have a leak or one of the faucets is partially on. Go around and check all faucets to make sure they work.

Water Heater - If you are on shore power have them fill up the water heater and put the electric heater on. This will take a while so go to checking other things while the water heats up. After 15 to 20 minutes the water should be warm. Turn off the electric water heater and then turn on the 12 volt water heater (really heats with propane) and check to see if the propane part of the heater is coming on. After about 5 to 10 minutes the water should be really hot. Propane is much faster and heating the water than shore power.

UDS -Universal Docking Station - Make sure they take you though every switch, lever and connector. It is actually well marked but there are three places to hook up a hose and each one does something totally different.

Sewer connection - make sure all the parts are there and that everything works by removing the cover and putting it back on. Mine was actually stuck and needed a very large wrench to loosen.

Recliners - Both of our recliners had never been reclined and it took some adjusting of the back of the chair to make them recline.

Outlets - get something like a light with a 120 volt plug on it and plug into every outlet and I mean every outlet. We had one not work and it turned out to be a circuit breaker was not reset.

My last thing I did was sit in the RV and hookup my phone to the sound bar (Bluetooth) and sat there with the fireplace on (it was cold that day) and went through the motions like I was living there. Also made me realize I had made the right decision in buying the unit.

So you know the dealer was really really happy to see me drive off the lot with the RV for I was not going to leave until I had gone through my list.

In closing you are going to find issues and that is just part of buying a house that sits on wheels but the more you learn about your unit the easier it becomes to handle any issue that comes your way.

Fred