Stacking ATVs

remoandiris

I need a way to put 150 inches of ATVs (2 ATVs each 75" long) into a garage that is 132" long (CY4000 with 3-season doors). Can't put them side by side if I want my motorcycle in the garage, too. Can't put one sideways and the other lengthwise either. These are the smallest adult quads I can find unless I go with "sport" quads.

So for you ATVers out there, is it a problem to park the front of an ATV on the back of another?

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Are you talking about putting the front wheels on the back rack? If so as long as your not rubbing anywhere I don't see a problem.

danemayer

Don't know what your carrying capacity is, but 2 ATVs and a motorcycle sounds like a fair amount of weight.

jeffdee

How about an aluminum pipe (tubing), arched top, four post, gusseted and braced frame secured to d-rings on the floor. Drive the first atv to the rear arch and use the front winch connected to an upper fixed point to lift the front of the atv to a 45 degree angle. Bring the second atv to the front arch and use the front winch to lift it to a 45 degree angle. I did some rough geometric calculations and you might be under the 132 inch limit. However, it will take a lot of strapping to make this assembly rigid in three directions. The aluminum tube frame could be made strong and rigid with gussets and braces, yet be light enough to carry in and out. Unless you can weld aluminum this would be fairly expensive to have fabricated.

This idea may be crazy, but others can brainstorm ideas also.

remoandiris

Doesn't sound crazy, but it is more complicated than it is worth to me. At the dealership they showed me how they stand ATVs on their rear to do maintenance. Considering how the coach rides, that is another option. But I think the front tires of the 2d ATV resting on the rear of the 1st ATV is the better option.

2TrakR

So for you ATVers out there, is it a problem to park the front of an ATV on the back of another?

Not seen any issues, only had to do that once with a different rig. Nice if you can turn the fuel off if the machine has a carb.

Can't put them sideways, perpendicular with bike in between? We regularly haul 2 full size dirt bikes, 2 mid size and one full size ATV. Have done two more bikes in the same space, but gets pretty crowded.

remoandiris

Not seen any issues, only had to do that once with a different rig. Nice if you can turn the fuel off if the machine has a carb.

Can't put them sideways, perpendicular with bike in between? We regularly haul 2 full size dirt bikes, 2 mid size and one full size ATV. Have done two more bikes in the same space, but gets pretty crowded.

I doubt the width is available. Bike is a GoldWing. With bike centered in the garage I can get 2 mountain bikes on each side, but that is all. Length of the GoldWing would prevent quads from fitting perpendicular/sideways.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like you are trying to get 10 pounds of stuff in a 5 pound can. :)
Here's a little food for thought.
A couple of years ago on our way to Texas, we stopped at a rest area.
Just as we were pulling in I saw a Ford towing a toy hauler. He had a rack built that was on top of the cab of his truck. On that rack he had two quads.
Unfortunately he was on his way out and I didn't get a picture so I can't tell you what size truck he had or how he got those quads up there. But it was pretty cool.
Get yer welder out.

Peace
Dave

2TrakR

Ah, Goldwing does put a different spin on necessary space.

Sometimes we carry a kayak in there as well, tying it up above the machines. Get's to be a PITA getting around in there to secure everything regardless of the loading sequence. Wondering if you will have similar issue with the total height, as in getting the 2nd ATV to stand up (up secondary ramps, I presume) and secure on the other machine.

Will be interested in your final solution, never know if I'll have to haul 2 ATVs (+ bikes) someday.

remoandiris

. Wondering if you will have similar issue with the total height, as in getting the 2nd ATV to stand up (up secondary ramps, I presume) and secure on the other machine.

Height shouldn't be an issue. I have at least 6' of height to play with. How to get the front end up is a good point. I figured I could pop a wheelie!!