water heater question

prin

We start the water heater from the panel by the door. If we want the shower water heated we use the switch by the door to the bathroom. I have been told that if I am plugged in I can use the switch by the bathroom for an electric water heater. Sorry I am confused can anyone set me straight??? I thought you used the panel by the door for the propane to heat the water and if you wanted heated shower water you used the switch by the bathroom door to divert it-----
thanks in advance for any help Prin

danemayer

Hi Prin,

Not sure about your MPG, but most RVs have a dual mode water heater. They work off either a 110V heating element, or by way of a propane burner, or both at the same time. There are separate switches for the 110V operation and for the propane operation. Most people use the 110V side when plugged into shore power.

We have an owner-written Water Heater Usage Guide that may be helpful. It's based on a Suburban water heater but most of the information also applies to Atwood heaters. Your switches won't necessary look the same as those pictured, but the basic operation should be the same.

pegmikef

If it is similar to my old North Trail, the switch inside the door is for 120 volt electric (and looks like a red light switch and turns red when it is on). The switch in the bathroom is the propane and is probably on the same panel as the tank and battery level check tests. You can use the shower on either propane or electric or both.

bigmaho

One quick note. Make sure there is water in your hot water tank (that it is not in 'bypass' mode') before turning on the red 110v water heater switch. If the water heater element is dry when the switch is turned on it will burn out in a matter of seconds. And yes, everyone is correct. The MPG has a dual propane/110v water heater. If you have shore power use the red 110v switch, if not use the water heater switch on the switch panel. You can use the shower in either mode.