Sorry Dodge guys, I'm moving to the D/A camp

GOTTOYS

Just couldn't take it anymore. My 2010 Ram was a great truck until it hit about 70,000 then everything but the wheels started falling off. Every part on it has had an oil leak of some kind fixed, check engine lights every couple weeks, exhaust system rusted off, on and on. I know some of you think they're the greatest trucks ever...I did too, wait until you hit that 75,000 mile mark. My last repair bill was $765.00 for a new fuel pressure sensor and cleaning out the DPF because it wouldn't go into a regeneration mode...I'm done. $2,400.00 spent on this heap since August, 2014. At 97,000 miles it goes out of warranty at 100,000. What happens then when the transmission falls out or who knows what?? Picking up a new Chev 3500 D/A dually Sat. I'm going to start over, hopefully with better results...Happy motoring...Don

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Don, my 2013 GMC 3500 DRW has not had any problems at all. Never been in for any warranty work at all. Gets 11.8 MPG average pulling the Horn. Might take 20K miles ( got 30K now) to get that and will get better after 75 or 80K miles.

Joe G

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
Bob,
Glad to here that. I just purchased a 2015 GMC Denali Dually, I hope to have many problem free miles, time will tell. I only have 2600 miles on the truck and am getting about 9.5 mpg while towing the RV. I hope that will increase as the truck gets a few more miles on it.

lynndiwagoner

Bob, good decision. I bought my 2005 new. Never any warranty work. 150,000 miles and still going strong. Tows the Big Rig with ease. Enjoy.....

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Don,
Sorry your Ram is falling apart. I have been tempted to sell old Bessy and buy a newer truck. Some of the new trucks look more comfy. Guess I may not after hearing this. Maybe it's a Gen 4 Ram problem?

My Gen 3, '06 Ram, 5.9 has 80K trouble free miles on it (50K towing) and continues to rumble on.

I just think of all the money I've saved compared to many who've owned three trucks in the same period of time. Each one is always going to be the next best thing. (Bob gives me grief, but I end up at the same destinations as him :))

An honest 14+mpg towing and 23 mpg running empty in a 1 ton truck, is pretty hard to give up! Trace

Last edited:

TXTiger

I love my 2012 Ford F-350. In 2011 Ford went to the 6.7 diesel and it runs great. I hear that the 2015 model has and even better motor not sure. I have 72,000 miles and no warranty work.

scottyb

I'm primarily a Ford person, but absolutely loved my 07 1/2 D/A. My only complaint was the lack of storage space compared to my previous and current Ford's. I put 186K almost trouble free miles. A transfer case went out under warranty and I had to replace the EGR sensor for about $800 at around 125K. Other than that it never saw a repair shop again. It was the the 1st diesel I ever owned that didn't use any oil, my current Ford is the 2nd. Even the wife's MB diesel used oil. If they GM had updated them by the time I bought my Ford, I would probably have bought another one. The 2013's were exactly the same as my 07 inside and out. I really like the 2015's, but haven't looked inside one yet. You will not regret purchasing one.

GOTTOYS

Thanks for all your support! This is a huge amount of money for us to spend on a truck, but we aren't getting any younger and don't want to spend any of that time sitting on the side of a highway somewhere...Don

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Ordered our new Silverado July 24th...STILL WAITING! Supposed to be here by Friday...I'll believe it when I see it!! It was apparently pulled for QC inspection several times before they finally released it...should not have ANYTHING wrong with it....:)

Don...you will LOVE the GM D/A...this is our third!!

Kbvols

I had a 2001 D/A LB7 when they first came out. I had a fuel rail leak within the first 1100 miles after that no other issues with 98k miles. Traded the 01 this year for a 2014 D/A less than 1000k miles fuel leak from injector pump. Beginning to think there is Something about me and new diesels and fuel leaks. I loved the 2001 until I got the 14. The 14 definitely has more power , the exhaust brake is awesome and the Allison tranny can't be beat. I am averaging 12.8 mpg towing with the 14 compared to 12 with the 01.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Westwind

Have a new 2015 GMC with 2K on the odometer, so far I love it. Traded in my 2008 GMC 2500 D/A with 74K on it so I could get a 1 ton. The 08 was a great truck, engine and Transmission. The problems I had were small, annoying glow plugs which I should just replaced. The radio speakers went out and I only had sound from one side and then there was the front wheel bearing. But when I looked at the Duramax Forum I definitely had a good truck.

Cjackg

Welcome.... you are going to love that Duramax Allison combo... there is nothing else quite like it! :)

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Had 190k+ on my 2005 2500HD when I traded it for my 2013 3500HD. No issues that wasn't my fault until the transmission control moduel went out. That was an electronic thing. The 2013, when I changed the oil the first time the low oil message wouldn't go off. The dealership had to put a new oil sentry in it. They said that was a first.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Just couldn't take it anymore. My 2010 Ram was a great truck until it hit about 70,000 then everything but the wheels started falling off. Every part on it has had an oil leak of some kind fixed, check engine lights every couple weeks, exhaust system rusted off, on and on. I know some of you think they're the greatest trucks ever...I did too, wait until you hit that 75,000 mile mark. My last repair bill was $765.00 for a new fuel pressure sensor and cleaning out the DPF because it wouldn't go into a regeneration mode...I'm done. $2,400.00 spent on this heap since August, 2014. At 97,000 miles it goes out of warranty at 100,000. What happens then when the transmission falls out or who knows what?? Picking up a new Chev 3500 D/A dually Sat. I'm going to start over, hopefully with better results...Happy motoring...Don

[Good luck with the new truck...I have had 5 Rams and never a problem. My 04 I put 180,000 mile and still on the original clutch, v belt and brakes. My 11 just pushed 95,000 and never an issue. The exhaust rusting off has nothing to do with Dodge or any other MFG, it has to be part of where you live and not cleaning your under belly from winter slush etc. The regen problems will be on all MFG now...they all have the DPF or DEF on them. I deleted mine and get 22 mpg on the Hwy and 20.6 avg on rural roads. One's perception of things is not always reality.]

Last edited by a moderator:

gebills

With several exceptions, it seems we all are intrinsically aDodge person, a Ford person or a Chevy or GMC person. Several have suggested the same in this thread. I don’t necessarily think it is what ourparents drove; my son tends to be a Ford person, and quite happy with his F-150(other than his mileage). I tend to be aDodge person and have had good successes with the Dodge Ram brand since the 90’s. I had to replace a heater core in anold 1998 Ram (about $875), but through owning 4 Rams since the 90’s, that wasthe most expense I’ve had other than normal maintenance (oil changes and tiremaintenance or factory warranty recalls). Have recently bought our 4[SUP]th[/SUP]Ram through a desire to gain the added weight-carrying benefits of adually. Our past/recent Ram (the 20113500 SRW noted my signature) had 50K on it when traded, and cost me only normalmaintenance expense. I was getting in the mid-11’s for MPG towing with a GCVWof 22K. In my not wanting to change a good thing, webought the 4[SUP]th[/SUP] Ram this month; a 2015 Ram Laramie 3500 dually/Aisin/3.73gear s,,,, and I am pleased..:))

GOTTOYS

[Good luck with the new truck...I have had 5 Rams and never a problem. My 04 I put 180,000 mile and still on the original clutch, v belt and brakes. My 11 just pushed 95,000 and never an issue. The exhaust rusting off has nothing to do with Dodge or any other MFG, it has to be part of where you live and not cleaning your under belly from winter slush etc. The regen problems will be on all MFG now...they all have the DPF or DEF on them. I deleted mine and get 22 mpg on the Hwy and 20.6 avg on rural roads. One's perception of things is not always reality.]
Lived here all my life. First vehicle I've replace an exhaust part on since the 80s. Chrysler decided to drop the stainless steel exhaust for some cheaper mild steel with an aluminum coating. My old 99 Suburban still has the original stainless exhaust on it so do my 2 cars. My truck does get washed regularly both top and bottom and it spent every Winter in TX or AZ so I don't think that was a factor...I'm thinking my perception is reality...I'll be in AZ the first part of the year, maybe we can get together for coffee?...Don

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Scotty, in 2008 GM trucks had a complete make over inside and out. My 2013 is not even close, inside and out, to the 2007 Chebby HD truck I had.