King Size??

igotjam

canada
I have been looking for a fifth wheel for quite some time a really like the Landmark. It is way better than the competion but I have one suggestion. I may buy a from the competition for only one reason. A real King size bed is 78 X80 but in the Landmark its 72X80. (most fifth wheels are only 72" bit some are 76X80) It appears there is room to put in a 76" wide matress...any way you could do this? Any plans to upsize so regular king size sheets would fit and people like me who want to spread out have more room?? (ya I know its only 4 inches and I am way too picky but it is influencing my buying decision)

Cheryl

I can't explain it, but my regular king size sheets from my king size bed at home fit just fine. I buy Northern Nights sheets which are oversized with deeper sides and corner "pockets". Our mattress in the Landmark has a "pillow-top" so maybe that is why?

Scott

King size vs. KING SIZE

Well, I am going to go out on a limb here and tell you that if that were the only thing keeping you from purchasing a Landmark fifth wheel, I would see what we could do to build a little bit thinner wardrobe compartment that is in the bed slide so that you could get the extra width. I would have to sneak it through production and get purchasing and engineering and the cabinet shop to work with me - but I think I could get it done.
I would suggust just altering it the 4" so that you still have very usable drawers and storage there in the bedslide wardrobe. But if you really had to have the extra 6" - it could be done.

ST

M

mary anne

So is the mattress in the Landmark a true "king" 76x80? If not where do you get sheets to fit properly?

Cheryl

I haven't measured it to get the exact size, but Northern Nights available on QVC.com fit. They are the same sheets I use on my regular mattress at home (Sealy Posture Pedic). I don't have any trouble with them slipping off or moving around. That's saying a lot - I am a major tosser and turner while sleeping - the main reason we like the king size bed.

jbeletti

I must be more of a tosser than Cheryl as my standard king fitted sheet always pulls off the top corner on my side of the bed. Or maybe it's the wife and two yorkies pulling from their side all night!

Jim

M

mary anne

We have not taken delivery of our Landmark Grand Canyon yet but I purchased king sheets from Linens 'n Things.com...the packaging on the fitted king size sheet states 78x80 w/13" pockets. We also purchased a king size featherbed. The Heartland website says residential king size bed so to me that means a king size bed that you put in your home.

igotjam

canada
Scott.....Further to the original question at the start of this thread, your Sept 7 response indicated a bigger (76 X 80) bed was possible. It now appears that your new floorplan (Mt Rushmore) uses a narrower bedroom slide which would make a wider bed impossible? Am I reading your new floorplan correctly?

Scott

King Bed

You are correct, we have gone to a different size on our bedroom slide out. This new size still accomodates the standard 70 x 80 king bed, but would not be able to accomodate anything larger. On the previous design, there was more room. Honestly, we are right in line with every one of our competitors in terms of our king beds. There are some who offer custom manufacturing, but they cost a considerable amount more than the Landmark.

ST

igotjam

canada
I guess I waited too long to buy. I appreciate all your responses to my concerns. Perhaps in the future I may again consider one of your products....you guys are a CLASS ACT.

Scott

Lots of Options

Thanks for your kind words. You know, there are always options. Not the least of which is looking at one of the Monticellos that are out there on dealers lots. They have the larger slide out that would accomodate a larger bed between the wardrobe and the wall (approx. 76"). I have known of some folks who have custom made this area by cutting down the size of the wardrobe to accomodate a custom, larger bed as well.

Just an FYI

ST

Princess Kathleen

Keeping the sheets on !!!

I also have had the problem of someone pulling the sheets off of the mattress. I read a good housekeeping tip, that if you buy a foam pad to go on top of the mattress, then put your bottom sheet...the sheets do not pull out!!!:)

tthelen

Former Product Owner
Narrow King

My wife and I decided to purchase a new mattress for our Grand Canyon. I have many back problems and was unable to sleep longer than 3 hrs an evening in the stock mattress. We replaced it with a seally posturpedic Memory Foam "regular sized" king mattress. It fits a little snug around the tall closet and fills the slide. It also hangs over the right side of the bed box about 6". I screwed down a strip of 3/8" plywood on top of the bed box increasing its width by 5" and everything is great! I slept the first night straight through! Oh Yes, the sheets fit great also.