Rand McNally 5510 . . . Get Lifetime Maps or buy a new GPS?

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I have a Rand McNally 5510 GPS that will be two years old Christmas Day . . .

It didn't come with the Lifetime Maps, like the more expensive unit at the time did . . .

So my question is this . . .

Should I pay $90 to get the lifetime maps for this unit?

Or should I buy a new GPS unit that is newer and better . . . and most likely comes with the lifetime maps (at a price of $300+)?

My other option is paying $30 a month for OnStar in my new truck when the freebee ends in May . . .

Thoughts anyone???

Wharton

Unless you really want the security of the On Star I would skip it. That is a lot of money each year.

You don't seem sure that lifetime maps would come with a new GPS, first thing to check. After that it is your decision and how your money is.

Since lifetime maps have become available that is all we have purchased. In actuality I am not sure it is worth it. How often are there new roads? But we will still get it since it also updates POIs etc.

danemayer

My experience with OnStar Turn-by-Turn Navigation in 2011 was that it was problematic. For one thing, if I missed a turn, getting a quick recalculate was a problem. And when traveling in areas with poor cell data coverage, I couldn't get directions even where I had a voice connection to OnStar because the directions are sent via cellular data link. I found this out a few miles outside Abilene. Repeated the experience on 183 about 90 minutes from Austin. I stopped using OnStar for navigation.

JohnD

My experience with OnStar Turn-by-Turn Navigation in 2011 was that it was problematic. For one thing, if I missed a turn, getting a quick recalculate was a problem. And when traveling in areas with poor cell data coverage, I couldn't get directions even where I had a voice connection to OnStar because the directions are sent via cellular data link. I found this out a few miles outside Abilene. Repeated the experience on 183 about 90 minutes from Austin. I stopped using OnStar for navigation.

$30 a month for Onstar just seems like too much money for their service.

I know that those who have gone off of the side of the road and somehow managed to survive for several days until they were found think that Onstar was worth it . . .

I've had my truck for a little over three months now, and I have not once used their service for anything!

And I mean ANYTHING!

Except for the app to lock my doors or to see how much gas I have or where my truck is parked (which is kind of cool) . . .

I doubt that I will keep it going when the time comes . . .

If it (Onstar) was $30 per year . . . MAYBE!

But at $360 per year . . . I don't think so!

Bohemian

If you need to talk to someone to set your navigation system for you then OnStar is great.

If the new GPS Nav system has features or functions that are important to you then upgrade the unit.

JohnD

Unless you really want the security of the On Star I would skip it. That is a lot of money each year.

You don't seem sure that lifetime maps would come with a new GPS, first thing to check. After that it is your decision and how your money is.

Since lifetime maps have become available that is all we have purchased. In actuality I am not sure it is worth it. How often are there new roads? But we will still get it since it also updates POIs etc.

The fact that the POI's can find the closest liquor store . . . that is all I need!

Mmmmmmmm . . . beer! :p:rolleyes:;)

Just kidding, of course . . . :)

MTPockets

John, your unit being two years old in my opinion would be the deciding factor. Although I don't recall the 5510 being mentioned, I do know many had quality issues with their 7710. Mine crapped out after a year and I had the lifetime update. If the box fails, the update is worthless. Spend your bucks on the Garmin, or skip the update and use your 5510 until it becomes problematic.

JohnD

I had a 2010 Chevy Cobalt that I used as my daily driver . . . why not at $30+ per month (and my place of work is 32 miles from my driveway).

And since I traded it in, have gotten two more recall notices . . .

Turns out that is had several recalls on it and the Chevy Dealer where I bought it was offering several trade-in incentives . . . so I took advantage and got a new 2015 Silverado 2500HD 4X4 in August of 2014!

Now, my 2010 Chevy Cobalt had Onstar and I didn't take them up on their price offer (and I never missed it) . . .

Funny . . . just last week I got another recall notice on the car I no longer own!

DOH!

What do you think ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

JohnD

John, your unit being two years old in my opinion would be the deciding factor. Although I don't recall the 5510 being mentioned, I do know many had quality issues with their 7710. Mine crapped out after a year and I had the lifetime update. If the box fails, the update is worthless. Spend your bucks on the Garmin, or skip the update and use your 5510 until it becomes problematic.

Hey Terry . . . can't wait to see you both at Quartzsite in January!

My 5510 works flawlessly so far. . . so I guess I will pay the $90 for the lifetime updates!

Hopefully it will get us to Quartzsite . . .

MTPockets

Hey Terry . . . can't wait to see you both at Quartzsite in January!

My 5510 works flawlessly so far. . . so I guess I will pay the $90 for the lifetime updates!

Hopefully it will get us to Quartzsite . . .
If you have a problem give us a call and we'll send up a flare.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We have one of the early 5510s. The touch screen has been problematic from the beginning. We ended up buying lifetime updates because they ARE building new roads around the bigger cities... bypasses and toll roads, etc. that we drive on.

We would have liked to buy new vs the upgrade, but decided to wait until the holiday season for deals or new models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

We have one of the early 5510s. The touch screen has been problematic from the beginning. We ended up buying lifetime updates because they ARE building new roads around the bigger cities... bypasses and toll roads, etc. that we drive on.

We would have liked to buy new vs the upgrade, but decided to wait until the holiday season for deals or new models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well . . . while our 5510 has worked well in the two years I have had it, it has sent us down the wrong road a couple of times (had to back up a 1/2 mile once with the trailer attached), it basically has done it's job!

One thing that it doesn't do, however, is tell us which lane to be in for the next turn!

I've used TomTom's . . . and they do that!