Front panel under 5th Wheel hitch drooping down

nunner

Our 2008 Bighorn has developed a major problem under the overhang this year. This is the first time it has been stored in a hot climate although it was totally under cover.
The edge of the fiberglass looks like it was never screwed in properly and the whole piece has many bubbles all over it. The side corner area has completely pulled away from
the edge where only caulking was holding it in. I called Heartland about it and they suggested I didn`t maintain my unit properly by redoing the seals. We live in Canada
and other than this year the unit has been mostly under cover during the summer. Although I found reference to this problem (improper factory construction) looking back
in the forum, Heartland is obviously not interested in resolving this issue.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Pictures are always helpful.
I had a 2008 Bighorn and had some minor sag under the bedroom. I hope we are talking about the same thing here.
The panel had pulled off the screws.
My fix was to remove the mouldings around that panel and reposition the screws and add some fender washers.
Again, if we are talking about the same panel it really is not a major problem.
Post some pics if you can.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The sag in my overhang was my own fault for not winterizing the washing machine properly in the front closet. Fortunately, the edges are intact, so I ran some stainless steel self-tapping screws with washers through the droop and into the steel framing behind it. Almost good as new. I've got some trim channel and insert that I may use to dress it up a bit...if the mood strikes me.

But, for the most part, the overhang cover is not attached to the framing except at the outer edges and around the pin box opening (and the latch for the front cargo door). If any moisture gets onto the backside of that cover, it will damage it. There is no real repair other than replacing it once it swells.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Yep, mine's all wavy from water intrusion. The leak's fixed, but I didn't bother to replace that panel because its just cosmetic, not structural. A few extra screws keep it from sagging.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
As far as HL stepping up to fix your issue....your coach is at least 6 years old....could be 7 by now. My '07 came with a 1 year warranty. Mine did the same thing 7 years in. My choice was to replace it or live with it. BTW, it does nothing except cover the frame and front compartment. It is not a structural componet.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
My guess is, this is probably caused by one of two things. I have seen both in my travels.

The front cap is not caulked properly at the front edge, allowing water to enter and roll down to the area you mentioned. Small quantities of water will actually pool up there along the moulding by the cap. Caulking should be done at least every year.

Or, as John said, the washing machine faucets were not blown out when winterizing. The latter happened to a good friend of mine. It destroyed the front panel under the overhang.

As others have said, the panel is only cosmetic.

Heartland customer service is among the best in any industry. But seven years? That is a long time to expect any corporation to unconditionally warrant a product. Trace