F-250 V-10 Cold Air Intake

Sans1

When gas prices started going up in 2001 I was driving my 2000 F-250 (gas, not diesel) to work every day ~ 25 miles round trip. I had already added a K&N air filter hoping to gain some in-town MPG improvement, but if it helped it was hard to tell. I had even considered a cold air intake back then but mixed reviews convinced me it wasn't worth the money if doing it for fuel savings. So, now 13 years later, even though now my truck is only for taking the dirt bikes out, the occasional run to the hardware store and hauling my 5th wheel between home at 7K feet and camping at 9k feet, I found myself looking at cold air intake for a different reason. This time it wasn't for fuel saving, it was for more horsepower. The one I bought for $250 took about an hour and 15 minutes to install. It claims 12 Horsepower (HP) increase in the power band (3.8 K RPMs as I recall). At that price I figured it was minimal investment and might actually help when in stop and go traffic getting out of town. I was not disappointed. Keep in mind, I only had three round trips on with the new fiver before the mod, and now one round trip since, it does seem to help once I hit the power band (3k - 4k RPMs). No insight into the unloaded fuel economy change since I have only run a half tank so far unloaded. Besides, I didn't do a before comparison anyway. At this point, it isn't like I can do anything about it if I don't like the fuel efficiency so it isn't that important. I am now reviewing cost/benefit of adding a custom exhaust. As I see it, if I get 12 (or more) HP from that, for the equivalent of about two payments on a new truck, I'd be pretty happy. I've been hinting to Santa...but She thinks the fiver covers 'big ticket' items for a while. She hasn't taken the hints on a side by side seriously either ;). I don't plan to buy a new truck until after that big leap in technology when fuel economy on my next truck will be more than double what it is on this one, after all this one has low miles, has been paid for since 2005 and does what I need it to. So for those considering a cold air intake, if doing it for HP, I'd recommend.