How Heartland Messed me up.

creeper

Well we spent about a year and half looking at 5th wheels. Spoke to dozens of reps and even more 5th wheel owners.

After finding one that, "just felt right" we ordered a Bighorn 3400RL.

The following advise was given over and over again by rvers of all different makes.

1. Get a bigger truck, A SRW cant handle 37' trailer and you'll be all over the road. Get a DRW and you can drive with 2 fingers it's so stable.
2. You need a slider, otherwise you'll smash your rear window.
3. The advertised pin weight is never right.
4. You'll need airbags as your truck will squat bad with that kind of weight.
5. You'll need lots of things fixed.

I arrived 9am on Friday and the dealer rushed me in to sign papers and then do a quick walk through. I put a halt to that quickly and told them I don't sign anything until:

1. I actually see what I'm buying and I do an extensive check on the systems etc... I informed them, that since they are 5 hours from my home, they will never see me again and they will fix anything I find before leaving.

2. They complete needed repairs.

The tech gave me a quick walk through and I spend the next 3 hours checking every system and examined nearly every inch of the coach. My check lists sped up the process.

From the RVers I was expecting an extensive list. Other then some really minor things, which normally I would have taken myself, the biggest thing was one slide was not aligned correctly. The tech fixed it promptly.

HOW DARE HEARTLAND DO THIS.... I should have a couple page list of major problems, yet my list fit on a small sticky. :eek: Rvers were wrong.

After the repairs were done I walk out to hook up the camper. Back the truck up and attached it to the B&W hitch. Start raising the landing gear , raising, raising , waiting for the truck to squat and it doesn't. Truck sits perfectly level and trailer is nearly perfectly level. I had a huge grin on my face. Rvers wrong again.

Started home on my 5 hour drive. I drove the 370 miles in varying road conditions, hills, wind , etc and most of the way with 2 fingers on the wheel. HOW DARE HEARTLAND make a camper that tows so well. :D Rvers wrong again.....

When I arrived in my home town I decided to fuel up and then weigh the camper and truck. This is when I discovered how GINORMOUS this camper is. I barely got it into the Flying J. I then headed over to the scales. F350, Crew cab, 4x4, Linex, roll top, 61 gallon of fuel.. 150lbs of gear and 1/3 tank of water..

Advertised pin 1950. Actual with "Stuff" and water in it. 2380lbs.. Rvers correct????? The pin listed does not include High gloss or dual pane windows and water. So I think Heartland is pretty darn close with their listed weights.

Camper weight with High gloss, dual pane, 150lbs of gear, 1/3 tank of water 12,340lbs.

Total 21160lbs. Which leaves us 1,840lbs of "stuff" we can load before hitting the max.

I'm under the GVWR by a couple of hundred pounds, which when loaded complete will put me at or slightly over the GVWR, BUT I'll be back under as I use up fuel.

I'm under the GVWR of the camper, by a lot.

I'm under the GCVWR by a lot...

I guess I don't need a bigger truck. Truck doesn't squat, handles well and I'm under all the weight limits. :D

NOW THE BIG problem. As I pull in front of the house my wife says, "NO WAY is that fitting in the driveway". I tend to agree.. I go down into our cul-de-sac and turn HARD, watching the camper and my back window. NOT EVEN CLOSE !!!!!!!!!!!! HOW DARE YOU HEARTLAND... You lived up to your claim. :D:D:D:D:D I don't need slider, Rvers wrong again.

I have a tight driveway and I ended up turning hard at different points. This is going to be the tightest camping I think we'll ever do and at no point was I within a couple feet of the back window. :D

Once we got it level, slides out and we got to examine the camper further. I must say this thing is REALLY NICE. Everything works and the wife is happy.

I must say, thank you Heartland for building a nice product. Now just to get rid of those darn chinese tires.

bighorn.jpg

Last edited:

jpmorgan37

Creeper;

Congratulations on your new 3400RL and I hope that you continue to find that so many of the purveyors of gloom are wrong. I must say, I've never enjoyed a post any more than I did this one. I love it and will make sure it goes to the Heartland management.

John

billd

Congratulations on the new BH. Sorry we mislead you on the possible issues you should have had.

Enjoy yout new 5th wheel.

Bill

jimtoo

At least he wont be mad at me, because I never said he would have those problems anyway.

Congratulations and enjoy your new Bighorn by Heartland.

JimM

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I have to say I was a little afraid to read your post Creeper. But I am glad I did and I am also glad to hear of you good fortune. Congratulations on your new coach and welcome to the Heartland family.

It is really nice to see that you point out what we hear so much of and how things said aren't always true. You have to take them with a grain of salt as it were.

Now that you have your rig, will you be joining us at the Branson Rally?

Good luck,

Mark

Last edited:

dewwood

Thank you for such an excellent factual post. I am glad you are as happy with your Heartland as we are with ours. It is refreshing to hear someone telling the good things they have experienced.

Thanks again,

Dewey

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Nice post... creeper...truly hit the nail on the head. Congrats , many sunny adventures to you and yours.....Ken

nhunter

When I read the title I thought "Oh boy", but you had the exact same "problems" as me. Congrats and good luck.

creeper

Thanks for the well wishes. We got our stuff transfered over, getting set for our first trip next week, since our driveway camping trip doesn't count.... :) Then our BIG trip, off for a month in June.... Won't be able to make the rally, wife only gets so many days off and the entire month of June doing the parts of the west will be costly with the fuel.

BUT, I did get a solid 10mpg.

Uncle Rog

Good for you Creeper!
We have no complaints about HL's after the sale service,that is for sure.
Better yet not to need it!
You did a good job with your home work, did a good thorough PDI and picked a good rig.
Have a good time!

rjr6150

Creeper
Thanks for the great news. I've been worried like your self. We will be getting our 3400RL before the end of March and was worried about the tow. You have put my mind at ease as it appears we have the same vehicle.

lwfox002

We have had a great experience with our Sundance we bought last year. No real problems. Our dealer took us through a very thorough walk through, answering all questions and explaining each feature. We are very happy.

CGibson

Creeper,

Your topic title really worried me since we are due to take delivery of our new Big Horn 3400 RE around the first of April. Glad to hear everything went well with you.

creeper

Title was just meant to toy with people a little bit.. :) :)

I have to keep my DW away from this thread, if she hears she has room for more stuff I might be in trouble.