level on king pin cover

Luckyhat12

So I have another question. I want to put one of the big levels on the front of the camper like this...
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?skunum=6440&src=SRQB

and I know that you have to use a bracket like this one...

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?skunum=27966&src=SRQB

But if you have one of those king pin covers that makes it all white and pretty... How do you mount the level on that? Does it just go through the plastic or should I just get the stick on level and stick it to the front cap of the camper?

I really don't want to buy one just to test it out. I would rather know that it has been done before I go try it.

Thanks again,
Chris

Netem

I don't have the big level on my king pin cover but there are two screws that go in the top of the cover and I don't see any reason you could'nt use them to mount the level. You might want to use some foam tape between the level and the plastic. You probably should check the width of the level to make sure its wide enough to hit the holes or you will have to make a bracket. Hope this helps.

Netem

Sorry just looked at the bracket in Camping world and it mounts to the sides. Make your own bracket out of aluminum angle and mount it on the top in the holes already there.

Delaine and Lindy

Anyone know if you can mount the big level on the TrailAir. We had the big level on our last 3 5th wheels. They were very easy, haven't owned a TrailAir but will this week. GBY....

jbeletti

Yes - they can be installed on a TrailAir. Involves some drilling on the hitch in most cases. At least the ones I have seen done. I never got around to mounting my big level on my TrailAir on my 2005 Landmark. But I have plans to mount it on my 2009 Landmark.

Couple years ago, I called the level manufacturer to see if they made special brackets for the TrailAir and they did not. So I fashioned my own out of 1" aluminum angle with stainless steel bolts, nuts. Again, never got it installed :eek:

fivernine

Why not just mount it on the vertical front wall under the upper deck near the landing gear control switch? It all rocks and rolls together. If you are level, it doesn't matter whether you can see it from the cab or not, and if you are not level, you have to get out and place some blocks. I think I may be overlooking a good idea here and can't figure out what it is.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I mounted the same level on the trail air but had to make brackets out of a piece of 1" aluminum angle. The reason is because the brackets designed for the level do not allow you to raise it high enough to see from the rear view mirror as the shock mount on the trail air is in the way. Since I have a new camera and haven't played with it too much I'll post a couple pictures later. Got pictures

Attachments

• With Cover.jpg
    With Cover.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 85
  • Without cover.jpg
    Without cover.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

Luckyhat12

Why not just mount it on the vertical front wall under the upper deck near the landing gear control switch? It all rocks and rolls together. If you are level, it doesn't matter whether you can see it from the cab or not, and if you are not level, you have to get out and place some blocks. I think I may be overlooking a good idea here and can't figure out what it is.

I understand what you are saying. I don't always camp in places with level pads or even pads at all. Being able to see the side to side level from the cab of my truck means that I don't have to get out and look every time I move 2 or 3 feet at the race track and the level changes. It is more of a convenience than anything else.

fivernine

Thanks Luckyhat. I see what your saying. Guess I'm going to have to go out and buy another level. Dang! I'm going to go overweight with the little stuff!

jbeletti

But think of the weight reduction of the king-to-queen mod :)

Although, you probably used screws instead of staples, a net heavier mattress etc. You probably didn't save any weight. Better skip the level :p

crazybanshee

I tried one of those levels and did not like it. The ball moves too slow most of the time. If it is cold it doesn't seem to move at all. Buy the cheap white one at CW. Just as accurate with fast ball movement. JMO Doug

Luckyhat12

So I added the level. I got one that the fluid isn't as thick as the one that I posted but I did go ahead and mount it on the king pin. It works really well for my application and it is pretty well right on with the fridge if I actually get it right. It is one of the few things that really helps with reducing the time of getting the camper setup.

Delaine and Lindy

Update to the Level on the Trailair. This is the 2nd big level I have used and they work great for us. The install is the same as a standard pin box. I mounted it using the bracket thats made for the level. When parking the Landmark just look at the rear view mirror and see when its level. GBY...