Fireplace as Scent Generator

wdk450

Gang:
I'm sure this is obvious, but a simple modification makes the electric fireplace with heater a fragrance scent generator. Actually, I wanted the smell of a real wood fire.

I found about a hundred different fragrance wax cubes at WalMart. I found one labelled " Fireside - A blazing collection of birch, cedar and spice" I then used folded aluminum foil to make a "canoe" to hold a cut piece of the wax cube between the external upper grate and the heat outlet vent holes. I used a "U" shaped piece of mechanics wire to pierce through the top of the canoe to mount it to the heat vent.

Now I just flip back the external grate, insert a cut down piece of scented wax in the aluminum canoe, turn on the fireplace and heat, and enjoy the ambiance.

010.jpg 009.jpg

jbeletti

So Bill - how did it work? Did it smell up the RV nice?

An idea... How about putting the wall is a small glass vessel and attaching it to the area where your foil is - instead of using a foil pouch? Hate to hear of melted wax dripping onto carpet. What a mess...

Maybe a baby food jar or a small glass spice jar.

wdk450

Jim:
Yes, it smells nice with the fireplace visuals. I tried to make the wax holder as liquid-tight as possible, but I see there is a slight amount of wax gathered just on the ledge where the holder sits. I think I will try to rebuild the container with thin sheet metal, and seal it up with some sort of sealant. The container has to be long, somewhat thin, and high-sided to fit in the space available. I don't know of the right glass vessel to fit the space. Too bad Dimplex didn't think of making this nice accessory.

DAVE.SHAR

What a great idea. I love the fireplace in our BIGHORN and the scent of a real fire will make even more enjoyable. Thanks for the idea !

danemayer

What a great idea. I love the fireplace in our BIGHORN and the scent of a real fire will make even more enjoyable. Thanks for the idea !

Hi DAVE.SHAR,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. Keep reading...there's lots of great information here.