Over the Air Reception Failed - mislead by light on signal booster

danemayer

A few days ago I lost over the air antenna reception almost completely. One channel still came in, but poorly. Of course the first thing I did was check the signal booster. Light was ON. So I started checking connections and connectors. After spiffing everything up, I got back several other channels and the main channel I wanted was pretty good. But things were obviously still not right.

The next day I happened to switch on the hallway light to look at the thermostat and the light didn't come on. Opened the fusebox panel and found a blown fuse to that light AND the signal booster. The LED was on indicating the blown fuse.

When there's a load on the circuit, a small amount of power goes through the LED at the fuse to indicate a blown fuse. It turns out there was just enough power going through that LED to also light the LED at the signal booster and fake me out.

With the new fuse in place everything's back to normal.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I can confirm what you are saying.
A while back I was tracing circuits for a project I had going on. As I was pulling fuses and checking lights I noticed that my LED lighting would still illuminate, but very dim.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my awesome Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk