Companion generators to power 15k BTU Dometic AC

acomavet

Hi All,
I have been reading the threads on generator options. I have just purchased a 2015 Bighorn 3270RS. It is equipped with 2 Dometic 15K BTU AC units. It does not have a gen prep package. Am I clear in understanding that I should be fine to run 2 Honda 2000 or 2 Yamaha 2000 generator/inverter gennies to power up one of my AC units? I will be hooking these up to the supplied 50amp cord with a 30 amp pigtail reducer. I am asking this as I have read of some users having issues with powering up their units with this combination.
TIA,
John

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
You will be able to run one AC, but not both at the same time.
I use two 2K gennies in parallel to equal a 4K unit.

Peace
Dave

el_Rojo

Hello John,

I have 2 Honda 2000's wired in parallel. They provide 26.6 amps when both are running. They can pull 1 AC all day long, just be careful when you use your microwave at the same time. If your converter/charger is supplying a bulk charge to the battery (usually when first connected to power) you might throw the breaker on the generators. When working off reduced amperage you have to think about the phantom loads using voltage. We have also found that one AC and a fan moving the air is comfortable in Texas during the summer.

Red

pegmikef

I have the two Hondas and they ran my 15K btu A/C just fine in my North Trail which was thirty Amps, but I have not been able to get them to run either of the A/Cs in my Big Horn which is fifty Amps. I have only tried this a couple of times and it was really hot. I have not yet figured it out, but I have not really run any tests as I haven't needed the generators. I don't know whether the converter or some other parasitic device is drawing too much power or my thirty to fifty amp pigtail has a problem.

pegmikef

pegmikef

I know this is an old thread but did you ever get this figured out?

To tell the truth, I haven't tinkered with it as I haven't needed it. I have basically just used the generators to run the converter to charge the batteries and let my wife use her array of hair stuff. I will let you know if and when I figure it out. I added a Coleman A/C in the bedroom like the one I had in my TT and I am hoping it will run that. If I was buying a generator or set, I would probably go for a greater capacity as my TT was 30 amp and my BH is 50 amp and the converter draws more amperage.

billhealy

I have a BH 3400 with 2 AC (15,000/13,500). I just purchased a new Champion 46596 (3500/4000). Because I was concerned about using the 50AMP cord and having it stolen, I bought a 30AMP RV cord connected to a short 50 AMP pigtail. I also run it through a Technology Resource 34750 surge protector. Runs well. Starts on first pull and does power the LR AC. Cannot run both at the same time. I plan on installing in the truck bed (2014 F350 XLT CC DRW LB). Have spoken to Champion and they said it can be done. Have seen 2 rigs in our local WM and both run from the truck bed. Would appreciate any comments on running from the truck bed. Thanks

pegmikef

One of my camping buddies who has an SOB fiver (30 amp) has a 3.5 kw generator he always runs from his truck bed and it works well. He welded (or had it done) a couple of brackets to the bed so he can lock the generator in place so it doesn't walk away. He has an older chevy 2500 SRW.

dlw930

I bought a 3300/3000 watt Chinese generator thinking it would run one of my 13,500 btu ACs (other users said they could), but no go for me. I even put hard-start capacitors in the AC units, but they didn't help. I have run the genie from the bed of my pickup though. Bought a 30 ft 30 amp extension cord and plugged one end in the genie and the other into my 50 amp coach cord using a 30/50 adapter. I considered hardwiring an automatic transfer switch and running a cord through the pin box and hitch to the gennie in the truck bed so I could have power while going down the road, but decided it wasn't worth it (for us).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wdk450

Remember that even with the most efficient 3000 watt generator, you are going to use about 1 gallon of gas an hour running your air conditioner fulltime. That would be about 8 hours a day, or about $36 gasoline a day. I have a generator, but have concluded if it is hot enough to need the air conditioner, it is time to get me into and RV park with electrical hookups, usually for less money than than running the generator would cost.

danemayer

We have the on-board Onan generator (LP) and reached the same conclusion as Bill. When it's hot enough to require Air Conditioning, it's less expensive and quieter to stay in an RV Park. The one time we didn't, the propane cost was $36.

teasac69

Remember that even with the most efficient 3000 watt generator, you are going to use about 1 gallon of gas an hour running your air conditioner fulltime. That would be about 8 hours a day, or about $36 gasoline a day. I have a generator, but have concluded if it is hot enough to need the air conditioner, it is time to get me into and RV park with electrical hookups, usually for less money than than running the generator would cost.

I am reading these generator threads with great interest. While I agree with your comments about finding a park and plugging in, the truth is from time to time it is necessary to stop in WM parking lot or rest area and take a break, nap, lunch, etc. If it is 90-95 degrees out, inside that locked up coach it is going to be 120 degrees. I would like to cool it down for an hour or so and take a break. I am wired in my driveway with a 50 amp plug and find my Parks on the road appropriately but just want to chill a bit on the way.

I also don't want to extra weight of the ONAN in my nose to use for this type of use, on most trips not at all. SO, I'm needing to find an occasional use gen that I can put in the bed and take it or leave it at home.

thanks always, you guys are the best.

oreo4772

I have a champion generator 4000 watt 3500 continuous, it has a 30 amp RV plug on it and it stays in the bed of my pick up. When I need it I just fire up plug in and go, it will run 15 hours on a tank of gas. Hope this helps.

Joe

justafordguy

I bought a 3300/3000 watt Chinese generator thinking it would run one of my 13,500 btu ACs (other users said they could), but no go for me. I even put hard-start capacitors in the AC units, but they didn't help. I have run the genie from the bed of my pickup though. Bought a 30 ft 30 amp extension cord and plugged one end in the genie and the other into my 50 amp coach cord using a 30/50 adapter. I considered hardwiring an automatic transfer switch and running a cord through the pin box and hitch to the gennie in the truck bed so I could have power while going down the road, but decided it wasn't worth it (for us).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's odd, I have a no-name Chinese 3000 watt inverter generator and it runs my 15k btu A/C no problem. I just ran it last night during a 6 hour power outage and it only burned a half a tank of gas. I just plug in the 50amp cord using a 30amp rv adaptor.

avvidclif

I have a champion generator 4000 watt 3500 continuous, it has a 30 amp RV plug on it and it stays in the bed of my pick up. When I need it I just fire up plug in and go, it will run 15 hours on a tank of gas. Hope this helps.

Joe

We dry camp twice a year (parking lot, flea market) and another camper has one of those. It's known as "The Jackhammer" far and wide.

Wmnmy

I have two Ryobi generators from HD parrelel together they are 2200w a piece and not loud at all they run one Ac unit all day with no problems and I can watch tv or run microwave with tv off I also run two portable fans with Ac and TV on no problems less than half price of Hondas ....