Furnace vs. Electric Fireplace/Spaceheater(s)

brlr2000

Hopefully, I'm posting this question on the right forum...When staying in a CG that charges for electrical power, do you normally use the propane furnace or electric fireplace/spaceheater? I've run the calculations of the cost of propane heat compared to killowatts for electric heat...and found that it should be cheaper for me to run on propane. I've gone through a 7.5 gallon bottle about once a week. Does anyone else have any comments on this? Also,what about the water heater?...Propane or electric?

danemayer

Hi Bruce and Linda,

There's another consideration that may be more important. If temps get below the mid 20s, you need to run the furnace to pump hot air into the underbelly. If you run on space heaters, you may wake up to find some of your water lines frozen. But if you're going through one 30# / 7.5 gal tank per week, it might not be that cold in your location.

We run the water heater on electric in all weather conditions.

brlr2000

Thanks for the reply Dan. We're in Texas now, so it's not getting below freezing. So, Is there a reason that you only use electric for the water heater? is it more efficient?

Birchwood

If we are paying for electric we use an electric heater because the heat is more constant and you don't hear a noisy furnace.
A far as cost its probably going to be the same or within pennies of each other.We only use propane to heat our water when
we are on 30 amp.Don't use your fireplace as a nightly heater as if the blower stops it could overheat and start a fire

brlr2000

So what is the cost of electricity per KWh and what is the cost of a gal. of propane?

We're paying 12 cents/kWh, and about $2.60 for propane. So, depending upon the efficiency of the propane heater...it may be cheaper to run the furnace.

branson4020

Icantre Member
I think the efficiency of the RV furnace is somewhere around 60-65%. If I haven't flubbed the math, that equates to about 17 KWh = 1 gal propane.

danemayer

From propane101.com
1 Gallon of Propane = 27 kWh (Kilowatt Hours) of electricity - This means that one gallon of propane contains the same amount of usable energy as 27 Kilowatt Hours. Or we can say that 27 kWh equals approximately 91,500 BTU.

So at 12 cents/kWh, 27 kWh of electricity cost $3.24 vs $2.60 for a gallon of propane.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Dan,
If you grant that the RV furnace is only 62.5% efficient, then your number become--
1 gal propane = 27KWh X .625 = 16.875KWh

danemayer

If you're going to discount propane appliances based on an assumption of efficiency, you should probably also do the same for electric appliances.

I know we've had this discussion in the past, except that I believe it was expressed in BTUs. I think by using BTU comparisons, you're looking at a measurement of output (net after efficiency is considered) whereas kWh and propane are probably measurements of input.

At some point I expect we'll hear from someone who has detailed experience in this area.