Love my 2011 Dodge 2500

teasac69

I returned to east Texas from a trip to Branson. I tried to out smart my GPS and went up the western side of the lake to the SDC Wilderness campground (which I do not recommend due to tight turns, sites and very noisy highway too close); but then came down US Hwy 65 to Little Rock and home. The truck did very well pulling the new BH 3875 FB but most impressive to me was the exhaust brake system coupled with the transmission. If you've ever driven that Hwy 65 you know it has some nice hills to navigate up and down. No trouble pulling them and then when I started down, the jake brake and tranny did a great job of holding it at 2000 RPM and never had to touch the truck/trailer brakes. I was very impressed with the truck performance. overall 9.5 mpg on this 1,200 mile trip so not sure how to feel about the mileage yet but guess I'll take it. The truck gets 18 empty so with this rig I guess it did ok. I am duly impressed with this truck's pulling power and braking power, stability and freeway handling in strong winds and passing big rigs. Rides a little stiff when empty but under load, coupled with my new pin box, it did very well.

olcoon

I've got a 2010 & LOVE it! Try pulling in the Rockies!!! I seldom have to use the brakes going down & going up I hardly notice the Elk Ridge is back there.

Rrloren

From one retired Plant Mgr. to another I concur. My 07 performs very well but I have done a few mods to further help.
Driving the Eastern flatlands I can get 13 - 14 mpg. The few times I have been in any mountainous terrain it gets into the 10- 101/2 range. With the exhaust brake there are no white knuckles while descending the grades.
The airbags I installed took care of the "chucking" I got at first.
I'm sure the other brands do very well also but I do like my Ram!

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Just as an FYI...My dealer stated to run the EB at all times. The back pressure will keep your Turbo fins clean. I have 96,000 miles on my 2011 and would not own a truck without the EB. Last service at 95,000 miles and the brakes are like new...I am running stealth deletes with a Smarty SR and getting an avg 22 freeway, 20 on my rural roads and 14 towing my North trail. In my opinion, you can't beat this diesel motor for towing...it will pull a mountain and not strain. This is my 4th Dodge, won't buy any other brand in a truck. We all have our opinions and while stating my opinion, I am not bashing any other brand....

teasac69

Just as an FYI...My dealer stated to run the EB at all times. The back pressure will keep your Turbo fins clean. I have 96,000 miles on my 2011 and would not own a truck without the EB. Last service at 95,000 miles and the brakes are like new...I am running stealth deletes with a Smarty SR and getting an avg 22 freeway, 20 on my rural roads and 14 towing my North trail. In my opinion, you can't beat this diesel motor for towing...it will pull a mountain and not strain. This is my 4th Dodge, won't buy any other brand in a truck. We all have our opinions and while stating my opinion, I am not bashing any other brand....

Help me understand the "deletes" thing. I keep seeing that and thought I knew a little something about diesels but I don't know about the deletes. Also the Smarty, can you give me a link to that? I'm fairly happy with my mileage but not getting anything like you are so I need to look at other things. I'm old school and never wanted to "turn my truck up" and get it performing ahead of its intended HP rating, putting a strain on the drive train, etc.

thanks for the info.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Go to the Dodge Cummins forum and you will get an education on what can be done to improve the life of your diesel. Your 11 dodge has an egr valve, throttle valve, Cat, Nox and DPF filter. The throttle valve is set so it will not completely open from the factory, cutting down on air intake. There are a number of variations you can do to improve your mpg and life and it's about how much you want to spend. My dealer gave me an old DPF filter and I bored it out, then purchased a used Nox canister off Ebay and bored it out as well. Replaced my factory equipment with the "Stealth" equipment. Replaced the throttle valve with one that does not have the butterfly valve, so It is open 100%. Disconnected the EGR, Ran a Smarty computer to change the parameters of the factory settings so no codes would be thrown....I change my oil every 5,000 miles it use to look like mud coming out, now its almost as clean as when I changed it. No running exhaust back through the engine, no ReGens, reduced back pressure in the exhaust....left the cat alone....I can put all the factory equipment back on when I get ready to sell the truck with in a few hours. I did this for MPG not more power and you have different settings to add power. I have a manual so can only run on three settings. I use the lightest setting at all times. Once you witness the difference in how your truck performs, Mpg etc, you will never go back. The newer cummins have DEF which replaced the DPF and uses a fluid to
crystalize sort of speaking the particles in the exhaust and then they are burned up in the Cat. This system can now be bypassed as well....just do some exploring and you will find all you need. My Cummins was getting 19.5 off the show room floor and after about 20,000 miles Dodge came out with and EPA update and flashed my truck, dropping my mpg to 14 at best. Dodge did this without me knowing and then said they could not return the truck back to the previous flash...so I did it another way. Hope that helps....but I have to say, I do not have emission checks so this was not an issue. This also voids your warranty, however my dealer knew and continued to do all service and warranty on the truck. They just cannot flash the truck ever again or it will show up into Dodges system. Once the factory equipment is reinstalled and the smarty returns all setting to factory, the only thing that will show up is that the truck was flashed more times than Dodge had completed.

Rrloren

Help me understand the "deletes" thing. I keep seeing that and thought I knew a little something about diesels but I don't know about the deletes. Also the Smarty, can you give me a link to that? I'm fairly happy with my mileage but not getting anything like you are so I need to look at other things. I'm old school and never wanted to "turn my truck up" and get it performing ahead of its intended HP rating, putting a strain on the drive train, etc.

thanks for the info.
Deleting means eliminating ,at least, the DPF. That's the particulate filter. In order to prevent the Check Engine Light from staying on you need a Smarty or H&S programmer which can turn off the light at startup.
On the older models ,like mine ,the EGR valve can be unplugged and that will prevent most exhaust from being re-introduced into the intake. You would still need one of the programmers to eliminate the Light, in my case I just live with it. The unpluging of the EGR valve has provided a 2 to 3 mpg improvement w/o removing the DPF. Removing the DPF will be even better.
You can go on eBay to get a Programmer or simply research any of the diesel performance shops , they will have them.