Gps

cgaskins

I want a new GPS system for Christmas but I need to decide which one. I have an 8 year old Garmin with a 4 inch screen that has begun to act a little flakey (reboots from time to time). I would like the new GPS to have a 6 or 7 inch screen. Any recommendations?

-Chris

danemayer

Hi Chris,

I like our Garmin RV760. Handles RV profile and has nice "Up Ahead" feature. If you call Garmin about your flaky old unit, they may give you a trade-in.

bsuds

We tried the Rand McNally and after 2 that were bad out of the box got a Magellan RV9563T and it works well. Quite a bit cheaper than the Garmin too.

bobw

I have the Rand MCNally 7720, for two years now and think that its great. Never had any problems and always on the money with the routes.

Ron-Cookie

I have a Garmin RV760 and love the way it integrates with my smart phone to provide weather alerts while traveling (Garmin Smartphone Link)... This allowed me to pull over and watch a tornado cross the highway 10 miles ahead of me in Nebraska last summer.. Great addition to our travel tools!

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We tried the Rand McNally and after 2 that were bad out of the box...

I got my Rand McNally GPS for Christmas of 2012 . . .

Ironically, we left later that day (Christmas Day) to take our new Trail Runner out for it's shakedown cruise to an RV park about 30 miles from home.

On the way to the RV park, I discovered that the GPS unit was defective, so the next day we drove about five miles to the Camping World where my wife (ie.- Santa) bought it and swapped it out for the one I have now.

Have not had one issue with this one.

It has sent me down the wrong road a couple of times, but I'm sure that all of the GPS units are capable of that.

I don't have the lifetime maps with mine and am not sure if I want to spend the $90 to get the lifetime maps, or put that money toward a new one that comes with the lifetime maps.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Rand McNally Gps . . .

I know topic thread is kind of old, but I thought I'd update!

As I mentioned earlier, I have an Rand McNally RVND 5510 that I've had a little over two years.

Back in January, I purchased the Lifetime Maps ($90) before we set off to Arizona for the HOC Rally in Quartzsite.

I downloaded the new maps as it was two years out of date . . . no problem!

We used it to find campgrounds, RV repair shops, restaurants . . . and even Camping World stores!

Fast forward to a month ago, and the Rand McNally software alerted me that there were updates available, which I downloaded.

After I installed the updates . . . the software said there was a new map update to install . . . which I did.

Then, when I tried to turn it on, it just locked up and acted like it was booting up for about 15 minutes . . . then gave me a message that my GPS unit was corrupted!

I tried running the fix & repair software to no avail . . . and even tried reinstalling the new maps . . . nothing!

The next morning I called their help number, and they had me hook it up to the computer and they tried to access the unit through the internet . . . again nothing!

Well, at first they said that my unit was two years old and out of warranty, to which I responded to them that had I known that the download was going to crash my unit that I would have spent that $90 for the Lifetime Maps on a brand new unit that came with the Lifetime Maps . . .

To which they put me on hold for a couple of minutes, then offered me a one time repair!

They gave me an RA number, and I boxed it up and dropped it off at the local UPS store!

They said that I should have the unit back within 5-7 days!

Well, it took almost three weeks, but as it turned out that download fried out my unit, so they replaced it with a new one (well, I think refurbished)!

I did have to make a couple more phone calls to get my Lifetime Maps purchase transferred to this unit . . . and had a little trouble connecting it to the software, but now I have it back in the truck and working well so far!

However, when I reinstalled the custom POI's . . . several of them refused to install!

This new unit is kind of quirky where my old one was pretty flawless, so I think that maybe later this summer I might replace it with something else!