Zebbie peeing by door

mystic

Zebbie the cat urinating by door

Hi,

We live with an eight year old cat, Zebbie. She does seem to like the Sundance, and quickly made it her home in many ways.

Recently she has taken to peeing by the entrance door, usually during the night. I think she is trying to mark her territory and keep other people out. (She does not like visitors to the van at all).

Has anyone else had the problem, and found a solution that works.

Peter.

Attachments

• IMG_1102.jpg
    IMG_1102.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
You might want to have her checked by a vet. Cats don't usually stray from the litter pan unless there is something wrong. Usually a urinary infection will cause them to urinate in unusual places...especially females. I've only seen males "mark" their territory.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Peter, That is a beautiful cat. I'm not qualified to diagnose animal problems but we had a cat that would pee in our bed at times and it was caused by a urinary tract infection. It may be the cat's just nervous that caused the problem. The most important thing is to clean the area so they can't detect the odor and get her to a vet.

linuxkidd

For Urine cleanup, I highly recommend a product called Urine-Off. It removes all traces of the odor causing parts.

Don't even need a steam cleaner. The instructions actually recommend against using any cleaner on the spot before using this product, but it works fine after anyway ( in my experience ). Just blot it up, and soak the area with this stuff.

Good luck at the vets office...
LK

sharmulst

We agree with the other posts that she should be checked by a vet. We had a cat that started peeing on the wall and she was found to have a urinary tract infection.
Best of luck

mystic

Thanks for the replies. We had sort of ruled out urinary tract infection as she has no sign of pain when peeing. In fact when we see her spraying on the door her expession is more of a cheekly little brat rather than a cat in pain.

Where we are at the moment (Geraldton, Western Australia) seems to be a dog area. We have the only cat in the park, and the cat food section in the supermarkets is dwarfed by the huge dog section, so finding a good cat vet is not easy. Might just have to take pot luck with the phone book, but have had very bad past experiance with general farm animal vets.

Have been cleaning the urine with water and vinegar, but some has seeped into the timber and will be there forever.

This morning, before we were up, she pee'd by the door, then went to her litter box for the rest.

Tonight I'm giving up, and putting another litter tray by the door to see how that goes.

Peter

theharveys

Cats do not necessarily show pain. We had a cat who started peeing in odd places. I never suspected she was sick until I noticed one day she was losing weight. I took her to the vet and she was in complete renal shutdown. Neither her kidneys nor her liver were functioning and she was jaundiced. I ended up having tp put her down as she was too sick to recover. All the time she was sick, she never showed any pain that we could see.

mystic

Interesting! Zebbie has actually been putting on weight last few months. Lately she has been quite active - jumping around everywhere, and sniffing everything in site. She just came by and jumped on my lap and started sniffing my trousers. Then tried to jump on the table (not allowed).

We'll try to find the best cat vet here and see.

thanks
peter

theharveys

That's a good plan. In retrospect, I wish I would have taken our cat, Sophia, to the vet as soon as I noticed the behavior changes. Had I of done that, she might still with us.

Corin1110

That's been my experience too. We had a cat go outside her litter box and found she had cystitis. The vet gave her some meds and she was back in business in the litter box. For some reason they associate the pain with the litter box.

Oxyclean usually can take the cat smell out of carpet and floors but you can't use it on wool carpet so test in an inconspicuous spot.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Have you changed your litter brand lately? Sometimes, cats will do that because they don't like the litter.

phranc

We just introduced a new cat into the household and our 7 yr old cat used the bathroom small throw rug for a few times . I think it was just a change in the pecking order that caused the 'mistakes'. Not quite the same problem that you have . We did solve issues by placing a litter box in the main floor bathroom. Cat is now happy , and new cat has a choice of 2 boxes. So I think I would try vet if possible and perhaps a litter box near the door , as you have thought..
We use 'Natures Miracle' odor eliminator . Available at all the large pet stores (pet smart, petco etc.) as well as online. Good luck..

mystic

Hi,

Thanks for all the suggestions, and we have finally got a happy cat and much less smelly van.

Zebbie the cat had been putting on a fair bit of weight previous to her decision to "mark" our doorway. What we finally found is that she was having difficulty cleaning parts of her back, and had two spots where there was small skin sores.

We treated her with a different flea product, flea bombed the Sundance, and gave her a lot of combing around the hard to reach areas. Also relented and placed a second litter tray by the door for us to constantly try to not trip over.

Finally also gave her the choice of two different litter types.

The results have been very good so far. Her behaviour is perfect, and she looks and acts very happy.

Peter