Used pricing is crazy

Kiltedpig

It amazes me that so many dealers think they can get more for a used 5th than a new one. I've seen many three and four year old units listed for more than I can get a new one. I hate the used car dealer method of selling. My last one was a TT where the dealer refused to honor the price I got from his sales manager when I showed up the next day to buy the unit. I told this fool that I had a truck with wheels and the trailer had wheels so all I had to do was check the surrounding states for someone who would honor the price I was told. Took me two days and I found the exact same unit at the price the original dealer and I agreed to and I drove 1/2 a day and picked it up. The industry needs to clean up their dealer franchises,especially in this internet age.

sengli

Honestly that is why when DW were in the market looking, we ended up buying new. We really thought we could find a nice used coach when we started, but all the used ones we looked at were so over priced, and in some cases not so nice looking. It was a no brainer to buy a new one, expecially at the end of the season, on a end of model year leftover. In most cases its not what type of RV you are buying, its what time of the year... you do it.

branson4020

Icantre Member
It amazes me that so many dealers think they can get more for a used 5th than a new one. I've seen many three and four year old units listed for more than I can get a new one. I hate the used car dealer method of selling. My last one was a TT where the dealer refused to honor the price I got from his sales manager when I showed up the next day to buy the unit. I told this fool that I had a truck with wheels and the trailer had wheels so all I had to do was check the surrounding states for someone who would honor the price I was told. Took me two days and I found the exact same unit at the price the original dealer and I agreed to and I drove 1/2 a day and picked it up. The industry needs to clean up their dealer franchises,especially in this internet age.

I agree 100% that there are some sleazy dealers out there. Part of the problem is that they are not franchisees like an auto dealership. They are all independent dealers with some kind of purchase agreement with various manufacturers. Manufacturers like Heartland have no control over the business practices of the retailers.

scottyb

On the flip side, they want to give you auction value for your 2-3 year old 5th wheel. NADA doesn't mean squat.

Pizzaguy

On the flip side, they want to give you auction value for your 2-3 year old 5th wheel. NADA doesn't mean squat.
Along with what scottyb said, options on your trade doesn't mean anything to them either. I had a couple of the "Mega" stores tell me that this model and floorplan is worth XXX amount no matter what it is equipped with on trade. To them a unit with level-up, paint, big fridge, 2 airs, etc. is worth same money as a bare bones unit.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
But when they go to resell it, those options will be worth their weight in gold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Always found it is better to sell my vehicles on the open market. Dealers will make it one end or the other when you use a vehicle as trade in.
It's a bit more work to sell a vehicle, but convenience (trade in) can really cost you. If someone is going to buy it, they might as well buy it from you!

donr827

The price on used RVs at dealers is way over priced. They hope to find a buyer that hasn't done their homework. It is better and cheaper to buy direct from the private seller but you need to do a very thorough PDI.
Don

Kiltedpig

Re: Used pricing is crazy, How does the public find out auction pricing?

NADA has two books, one for the public and one for the dealer, is there another book that lists auction prices?

SeattleLion

Re: Used pricing is crazy, How does the public find out auction pricing?

Used trailers and used cars are free market items. Most dealers use the auction value (not a book...they go to a dealer auction site and see what your unit went for most recently) since it means they can simply sell your old unit off at auction. If they choose to resell it themselves they have the risk of carrying the the cost of the unit (translation: interest charges on their floor plan) for an extensive period of time.

There are lots of dealers and lots of individuals buying and selling trailers. Each is free to offer or charge whatever they want. You are free to reject their pricing.

sengli

We recently ran into a dealer, and they were doing what pizzaguy said. A particular floor plane is worth X, no matter what it has on it. I guess it is good or bad depending on what you have and what you paid for it.

marcusweeks

my wife and I drove almost 2,000 miles, from New Hampshire to Texas to get a good deal on our camper. We found a similar after, 1 year newer, and it was $20,000 more. Plus toy haulers in New Hampshire aren't common, thus increasing the value apparently. the Internets your friend.