Toilet blockage

OldTanker

Hi New to the forum but been fulltiming for 10 years now.

We have a 2014 3875FB. We have been in it now for over 10 months and are pretty happy especially compared to our old rig which will remain nameless but has a suites in it. We have developed a problem that is getting rather vexing and has resisted all my attempts to rectify. The main comode (forward bath) has a flush issue. Over the last couple of weeks it seems to have developed a blockage in the pipe from the commode to the black tank. As a result it burps, even on an empty black tank on every flush. Often rather vigorously. I notice that this rig has a pipe that does not drop straight down to the black tank but turns close to 90 degrees about 18 inches below the commode. There is, I assume, at least one other angle into the tank But I have not seen it yet.

The toilet blocked up solid the other week and I had to use a light duty manual snake to clear the clog into the tank. This isn't a "brown pyramid" of tank flushing issue, it's a blockage in the pipe prior to the tank. The toilet did drain but slowly. I have tried flushing plain water numerous times to help "blow it lower" but no luck. The snake can't clear the entire pipe diameter and I have no idea whewre the blockage is. I ran over 15' of snake into the system so I feel fairly certain I got it all the way into the tank. I tried running a hose into the pie and flushing with water, no help clearing it totally. It does drain faster but still burps and I can hear it burballing after flushing as the water drains past the blockage. I even made up a high pressure sprayer and ran it down the pipe a couple feet but still no cure. Again I can't cover the full diameter of the pipe with the spray from above the commode. There is no way to see the blockage as my mechanics mirror wont extend into the pipe and I don't have a camera on a flex hose to send down.

Anyone have a clue to offer? Getting tired having to use the commode in the park restrooms all the time.

danemayer

Hi OldTanker,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

This does sound like a vexing problem. And it sounds like you've been very thorough in trying to clean the pipe.

Have you checked the vent? If it's blocked, that might cause some of the symptoms you're having.

I've never tried it, but I'm wondering if you fill the black tank (from the toilet) until the water is above the blockage and let it soak for a couple of hours whether that would loosen it up enough to break free when you open the tank valve.

If you fill from the toilet, I don't think you could over pressurize the tank.

OldTanker

I'll have to locate the vent someplace on the roof and try flushing it but I don't think that's the issue. A couple times trying to clear the blockage I thought I had succeeded. No more burping or standing water. Then after using the toilet only a couple times it came back.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Possibly pouring some toilet tank chemical into the toilet with a small amount of water and letting it sit for a while might allow it to digest the blockage.

Unfortunately, flushing the toilet is not a good time to try to conserve water, especially if the pipes run horizontal.

Try not to use a grapefruit sized wad of TP :)

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with John, use plenty of water and use 1/4 the amount of TP.
I say this because when we had the symptoms you are describing it was a wad of paper stuck in the pipe.
I cleared it with plenty of water from above. Fill the bowl to the top. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Peace
Dave

Kbvols

The best thing is to not put TP down your toilet. We keep a small trash can next to the commode with a plastic grocery bag in it and throw paper in it. Probably use a little extra paper but worth not having the head ache. We'll toss the waste can out daily usually mid morning. We have been doing this for well over 15 years...has worked great thru porta pot in pop-up then to TT and 5er. Plus and this is a big plus don't have to give up the Charmin :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pizzadigger

Sounds like to much poop n paper and not enough WATER. Water is the key. Lots and lots of water. Fill the bowl with water several times after each flush. You might need to get some one to run a camera down the drain. Find and clear the blockage. Then run the camera down the drain pipe again to check for defect inside pipe , burrs on pipe edges, debris stuck in pipe from construction. I'll bet its some thing stuck in there restricting the flow.

Niles

Pizzadigger, said what I was thinking, might be some stuff left over from construction. It does happen. If it is something that won't disolve, no amount of water will work.

olcoon

I was thinking the same as Pizzadiggerr & Niles, possibly something stuck in the pipe, either left over from the build, or something accidentally got dropped in there. You might get a product called Unique, put it in your tank, and do as Danemayer suggested, fill the tank above the clog & let it sit & hopefully it'll digest the clog. I've been using Unique for a few years now, and when I drain the black tank all that comes out is colored water...no solids or TP.

Lynn1130

Or these guys whom I have found to be the most knowledgeable of any I have found and the product works great too. I don't know if they have reps in your area but I am sure they can provide some expert advice.
http://tanktechs.com/

brianharrison

I would think the Front Bath coaches have an unique routing for waste drain piping considering the distance/orientation of the bath to the tanks. These are recently new designs to Heartland.

My recommendation is to engage Heartland customer service as you have a new coach, assuming you're still under warranty, and Heartland should be interested to support resolving the problem and incorporating learnings into their designs.

You have methodically approached the issue and got it to a point that requires expert analysis and tools. In my mind, that points to an issue of design/manufacturing, not user operation/habits. I would suspect this is not an isolated case.

My thoughts.

Brian