Air bags and tires.

TXTiger

I have a 2012 Ford F-350 4x4 SRW and a Cyclone 4014. I have 78,000 miles on the truck. Only got 28,000 out of the stock set of Mitchlien tires. Replaced them with BF Goodrich got 50,000 but they are showing signs of cupping. Getting a new set of BFG today. Was told that if I install a set of air bags on the truck it would reduce the bouncing which is the cause of the cupping. I have also been having an issue with steering vibration which I am told is being caused by the cupping in the tires which were rotated from the back to the front. Will instalation of air bags help reduce the tire ware? If so what brands of air bags would you recommend. What pros and cons are there to having air bags? What is the avg cost?

jimtoo

Normally the only thing that causes cupping is the tire is not balanced correctly. There have been a few cases of just a bad tire. I cannot see how air bags will help in any way except to level the truck under a load.

Move thread to correct area also.

Jim M

etcmss

air bags can be from http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php? or some other source like this.

zenid=7c5c1ed8e67a931eae9c401930e6d63f&main_page=advanced_search_result&inc_subcat=1&categories_id=1810&year_select=2013&make_select=622&model_select=8205&x=83&y=16

and put in your truck size/type, model.

I recall getting for about $350 area and after install the bumps were quieter. Too early for me to comment over "Will it solve cupping."

jnbhobe

"Will it solve cupping."

I doubt it but it may help with the ride and leveling the truck

hoefler

Find a shop that can accommodate your truck with the trailer attached and have the front end alignment checked, I would bet it is out.

scottyb

Cupping has always been a Ford thing and it always occurs on the front axles. The way to stop (slow it down) it is to rotate early and often. The tires need to share time on the drive axles.

Subdrv

I have had two fords a 2000 f350 and a 2008 f450 both had problems around the 60k mile mark with tires. Both time it was the ball joints. Those had the non greaseable type joints. I'm not sure what the 2012 has. Just as a note if you replace them I tried the moog joints and didn't like them the were too tight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

blong

TXTiger
I have a 2011 GMC dually with the same problem tires cupping within 5k of rotating. And a shake or shimmy at about 60 miles an hour. Done it since new, and truck now has about 60k miles on it. Back to the dealer 3 or 4 times they say all is fine, its the tires, Michelins as well. Replaced the tires at 48K even though they were only half worn,
same thing, tires cupped after 3k miles, tried bumping up the pressure that helped a bit now it takes about 10k, but they still cup. I had air bags installed at 20k, made no difference at all to stop cupping. Had all tires road force balanced and alignment redone twice, did not see a lot of difference after that. I still say its something in the front end perhaps ball joints or steering box. I give up and the warranty is up next month, so I have traded it in on a new one rather than having the dealer find a front end issue now that I am out of warranty. There is no way the cupping and wobble has not done damage after all these miles. So buy the air bags to improve your ride quality for sure but don't expect them to do anything for the cupping issue.

TXTiger

Thanks for all your replies. Getting an alignment with the new tires. Will see what improvement I get with a new set of balanced tires and the alignment before I spend more money on air bags. I have also been told that it may be the ball joint or worn shocks. If the vibration continues after the new tires are on I will have the ball joints and shocks inspected. I have 78,000 miles on the truck and a 100,000 mile warranty and service contract so I want to get this steering vibration issue resolved soon.

Subdrv

The vibration may go away with the new tires because they haven't cup yet. You might want the to get the ball joint while the are changing the tires.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If you're getting an alignment they should be looking at the ball joints and tie rods.
Can't do the alignment with worn parts in place.

Peace
Dave