Refrigerator not working on Electricity

Hi you all,we have a 2012 Landmark with a Dometic refrigator,the unit will not work on electricity,will run on propane only,I have checked all fuses and circuit breakers,even the fuses on back of unit.Have tried two different electrical sources,the one at home and the one at the campground,anybody got any ideas,all help will be appreciated,Thx.

Roller4tan

Not knowing the trailer you have, I can only guess.... If your fridge is on a slide out, check under it for a pinched or cut wire. I had that issue. If you have a volt meter start at the source (breaker) and work your way to the fridge plug behind the white fridge vent outside.

wdk450

The Three main suspects are:
1) No AC electrical power to the refrigerator. Is it plugged in to the outside access panel? Can you test the outlet with a meter or test lamp?
2) If the outlet is live, can you find the wires to the electrical heater element? Do they have power on them? If power is present, then the heater element is probably bad.
3) If power does not seem to be coming through the circuit board, check every fuse on the circuit board before getting a new board. http://rvcoolingunit.com has good prices on reliable, 3rd party reverse engineered boards from Dinosaur Electronics.

Good Luck!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If your refer is in a slide then the receptacle is protected by the GFI.
That should be located in your bathroom.
Be sure to reset the GFI.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my awesome Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

danemayer

Hi you all,we have a 2012 Landmark with a Dometic refrigator,the unit will not work on electricity,will run on propane only,I have checked all fuses and circuit breakers,even the fuses on back of unit.Have tried two different electrical sources,the one at home and the one at the campground,anybody got any ideas,all help will be appreciated,Thx.

Hi MissSanAntonio12,

Assuming you have the 4-door RM1350.

Can you clarify what you mean when you say it doesn't work on electricity?

Do you mean you have it set on AUTO mode but it's always got two LEDs lit indicating it's running on propane?

Or do you get an error code?

Or does it appear to work on electric, but not cool correctly?

danemayer

If you have an ice maker or water in the door, there are two outlets; one for the water/ice and the other for the refrigeration. Assuming both have been checked and are working for your test light.

There are two 5 amp fuses on the control board that powers the 110V heating elements. One should be a spade type automotive fuse like in your main fuse panel and the other is a glass fuse. Unplug power cords and remove those fuses to check continuity on each fuse. On the spade type fuse, make sure it's tight in its receptacle.

Also, check for wire nuts in between the circuit board and heating element. You could have a bad connection there.

Hi danemayer,I put two new 5amp fuses in,turn unit on it started on electricity for about two minutes then blew a fuse, close as I can tell it was the glass fuse,any ideas? Thx for all your help,Terry.

danemayer

I've attached a snapshot of part of the 1350 schematic diagram. Check for loose connections on the board on P1 thru P7 (with power removed). Also check for damage to the wires between board and heater.

If wires and connections look good, I'd guess you either have a bad heating element or a bad control board and you'll probably have to get a good service tech to troubleshoot the problem. The parts are expensive, so it may not pay to guess. The heating elements are probably a little under $100 and the board is probably between $200 - 365 depending on where you buy it. I'm not sure how difficult it would be to replace the heating elements; i.e. whether you have to partially remove the frig to gain access.

Attachments

• RM1350 Heating Element and Board.pdf
    161.5 KB · Views: 29
Hi danemayer, and all that responded,to my refrigerator not working on electricity,thanks for all the responses to my problem,a special thanks to danemayer,I went back through all the wire connections and put in a other set of fuses,and bingo she working like a champ,ran her down a not so smooth road and she is still working,so I think we got the problem solved,Thx again Terry.