ATF: Landmark - rust question

bob34787

After reading the brochure that I received when I purchased my new 2013 Landmark in Feb. I noticed the phrase " 12" I-Beam frame with rust prohibitive coating" and I was curious what that means, I ask because my Landmark has never traveled more than 17 miles from me here in central florida, has never been near an ocean, as a matter of fact it has only made 3 trips to Disneyworlds Fort Wilderness ( 17 miles ) but yet if I were to take a pressure washer to my frame the "prohibitive coating" would blow off, leaving rusted metal, is this normal for such a rust prohibitive coating? none of the other 5 RV's that I have owned in the past 6 years experienced any rust let alone the massive amount of rust on the underside of my landmark.

Westwind

Sales Talk - no frame rusts faster then an RV Frame - last year we unfortunately ended up on the New Jersey Turnpike during an Ice Storm and the roads were being treated, I rinsed off my frame when we got to Florida but it did no good. I ended up sanding and painting some of the frame but I have more to do. I find if you don't like doing preventive
maintenance don't buy a recreational vehicle (camper).

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Maybe you have never taken it near any salt air or on a salted road. But what month was it built and delievered to your dealer??

bob34787

never had as much rust as this bucket has, as far as maint. never kept one long enough, thought this was the one

sengli

We were at a local delaer last month looking at leftover landmarks. They had one on the lot that was 2014, and it was built in January, and delivered from heartland to this dealers lot (5 miles) and it obviously never got rinsed off. It was rusty from stem to stern underneath. All the fitting on the leveling cylinders, wheel hubs, and slide hydraulic fittings were all noticably corroded from the road salt.
Right next to this one was a 2015 that was built in like april, and it was shiny and new under neath as it should be. That road salt is a killer on things!

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We have a new 2015 LM which came off the factory floor March 3 and from the paint bay March 10th of this year. It was shipped down to the dealer early April. We are keeping a close eye on the frame since it was built during the last part of winter when there was still alot of snow on the roads. It's part of getting a coach that was built during the winter-time.

marvmarcy

FWIW: The best coating for ferrous metals that I've found is POR 15, but it is a bit of work to apply and expensive. Therefore, I usually just scrape, apply Ospho or Naval Jelly, wipe dry and repaint. POR 15 is siliconized and very hard and strong, so it lasts.

aatauses

I also had rust issues with a brand new BH---most of it came from salt on the roads during delivery. I was VERY disappointed with the dealer that they did not clean it off----anyway, used a wire brush, then rust inhibitor, then rust preventative paint--a lot of work for a new unit.
al

bob34787

very disappointing to find rust is normal for heartland, as a very disabled individual I am forced to pay to have the rust removed and repainted as parts have already rusted off of it, i do not think it will outlast the payments, but since I hear nothing fro the factory I assume this is pretty much the way it goes, at least forest river used Horizon transport and required the RV to be washed at delivery to the dealer.

Birchwood

I sprayed my 09 Landmark frame with Fluid Film when purchased and every other year since then.No rust anywhere on my frame!

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Heartland also uses Horizon transports for 99% deliveries. The dealership that we bought our new coach from also pressure washers each coach as it comes in. We have had 4 HL products without any major rusting problems but we also continually keep checking all aspects of the camper and address issues immediately. I have had horse trailers, utilities trailers and other equipment that is keep outdoors and over time, depending on the humidity and weather, just about all that have painted metal starts to break down with time.

Also Heartland buys the frames from Lippert. They do not manufacture the frames inhouse. Heartland only builds the box up.

Manzan

Our 2011 21fbs was build in January and delivered to the Seattle area in February. Dealer has been very good and must have spray washed underneath. We have spent a lot of time on the Oregon coast in all sorts of weather. No rust at all. Of course, rinsing the frame after some time on the coast is not a problem--with the rain we get, a few miles on a wet road does a good job of rinsing things off.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
FWIW these frames are built and stored outdoors some longer than others and they are only coated as well as the environment permits and the painter applies. Lippert is the builder and they may need to look at another process but if it is outdoors and in wet and humid environments rust will come it is only natural, oxidation. I check mine throughout the season and touch up where needed and I am satisfied with that approach. Check you car frames sure there is rust on them.

bob34787

FWIW these frames are built and stored outdoors some longer than others and they are only coated as well as the environment permits and the painter applies. Lippert is the builder and they may need to look at another process but if it is outdoors and in wet and humid environments rust will come it is only natural, oxidation. I check mine throughout the season and touch up where needed and I am satisfied with that approach. Check you car frames sure there is rust on them.

3 years on my f350 no rust

bob34787

I understand all too well what causes rust, I lived in Pennsylvania for 48 years, my hope was that since this was the "ask the factory" section , that somebody from the factory would actually respond, I guess they only answer when there is a chance the response will not be used against them. I am sorry but when you advertise a rust prohibitive coating than severe rust issues should not be part of ownership regardless of a dealer not washing the frame upon delivery, if that were a requirement to maintain a rust free frame than the dealer would be informed of that, than the manufacturer would be free and clear provided they include that statement in the brochure. But I do not see rust prohibitive coating provided the dealer wash it upon delivery listed in my brochure.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
My BH was delivered in Jan 2011. It had rust underneath on the frame from the salted roads. Had the dealer rinsed it upon receipt, I feel there would have been far less.
That said, I cleaned and touched up affected areas with gloss black Rustoleum. It is a great finish and has remained unaffected by anything after 35K miles of travel. Probably better than the factory Lippert finish.
Should a person have to deal with this? Probably not.
However, I felt it was my responsibility to try to mitigate further damage by treating the rusted areas. I didn't feel it would accomplish anything by me sitting on my hands and complaining about it.
In the end it was a couple hour job, that was well worth the effort. Trace

Westwind

I've owned trailers (2) over the last 13 years and have grown to have no respect for "Powdercoat" finishes that are used on RV products, not only do they have a short lift but when you remove the chipping powdercoat there this rusting metal waiting for you. It's like the moisture is trapped between the "Powdercoat finish" and the metal. I too have had great success with the Rustoleum brand of paints after I removed the PC and sanded and primed the metal then painted with Rustoleum. It always lasted longer then the factory finish.
I started painting sections of the frame on my Bighorn after a trip through treated roads last year.