ATF: North Trail - RV ladder

ledunn

I recently purchased a 2012 North Trail 29RLS trailer. Is there any reason a rear ladder is not installed on it? If it can be added some tips would be appreciated. Thanks

jimtoo

Hi ledunn,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm sure someone will have an answer for you soon.

Jim M

CPaul

This trailer is classified as a light weight unit and I am sure that any place that Heartland coulf $ave $ome pound$ they did.

jbeletti

To my knowledge, ladders have never been installed on North Trail from the factory. I understand there is blocking in the rear wall for those who with to add a ladder - though most do not.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
When I ordered my North Trail, I wanted a ladder as well. The trailer came without one and the dealer called Heartland for placement to add one. The only place was on the right rear, however since the shower has a skylight, there was no place for the curved part of the ladder to be secured to the roof. Hence if you have a skylight in your shower on the North Trail with a right rear shower, you cannot add the ladder. My North Trail is a 20012, so perhaps the newer ones have changed.

pegmikef

I had a North Trail for a couple of years and 25k or so miles and I just got one of those collapsible step/extension (13 feet) ladders and carried it in the back of my Pickup (I had a cap on the truck). It worked great and when not using the RV it was useful around the house. Now that I have a BH with a ladder, I still prefer my collapsible ladder (now a sixteen footer) as I think BH ladder is too flimsy and I don't really trust it.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
I had a North Trail for a couple of years and 25k or so miles and I just got one of those collapsible step/extension (13 feet) ladders and carried it in the back of my Pickup (I had a cap on the truck). It worked great and when not using the RV it was useful around the house. Now that I have a BH with a ladder, I still prefer my collapsible ladder (now a sixteen footer) as I think BH ladder is too flimsy and I don't really trust it.

I agree and really how many times do you need a ladder when out RVng? It's not like the North Trail is big enough for full time, at least my size. I do all roof cleaning before it goes back into the barn where it is protected from sun etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
You are better off to just buy a big enough extension or step ladder to get to your roof!

Most of the attached ladders are more for looks than they are for usage . . .

ledunn

Thanks for all the feed back. I will probably just get a step ladder. I was concerned about cleaning off the slide before bringing it in. I'm new to rv'ing and to try to make everything easy as I can.

GOTTOYS

If it did have one, it would probably fall apart like many others have. Use a real ladder and be safe...Don

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I still use the OEM ladder. It's been supporting my 168 lbs. since we got it. If you insist on using an extension ladder to get on the roof, make sure you have it footed and locked before you get on it, and it extends above the roof at least 3 - 5 rungs when set at a 75-degree angle. Otherwise, you're an accident waiting to happen. I use my telescoping ladder for cleaning the sides and caps, not for getting on the roof.