Unique New Mattress Idea

fivernine

This is the final installation to a thread I started a few days ago titled
King to Queen Too: a Bed Conversion
in the Modifications (General) Forum. In those two posts I showed how I converted a king size bed to queen in my 2008 Landmark Cape Cod. Here I want to show the conclusion to that project--one of the most clever mattress ideas I've ever seen.

Sleep Revolution has developed a "Mattress in a Box." I'm not talking about some skinny pad to leave your bones sore, this is one really fine mattress with individually pocketed coil springs along the line of our Simmons Beautyrest at home. I would say it is toward the firm side, but with a soft, comfortable pillowtop. It is designed to sit on a solid foundation, not a box spring, making it ideal for our campers. I bought the queen size that measures 60" wide x 80" long x 11" high. That's 2" higher than the factory mattress I removed. Here is the link to Sleep Revolution:
http://www.sleeprevolution.com/

They have some great video describing the motion isolation and other features. What I found really convenient is that Wal Mart is selling it on their website and will ship it to your nearest store with no shipping charge. I got mine in five days although they state 7-10 days delivery. Wal Mart's link to this mattress is:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5237970

Now, what is really clever about this is the way it is shipped: Sleep Revolution puts the mattress in a heavy-wall plastic bag, removes the air and atmospheric pressure flattens it to about 3" thick. They fold it lengthwise, roll it up, put it in a sort of duffel bag, double box it and ship it. The box is only 17" x 17" x 41"--looks like it might contain a big sleeping bag--doesn't look like it could contain any kind of mattress. Until you pick it up--it weighs about 75 lb. Then you know you have the real thing. Both websites have some fascinating video showing it opening up. In my last three frames, below, I show a brief look just prior to its returning to full size. At full size, it comes to about 1/2" below the bottom of the headboard. You can see it with the bed made up in my second post of the modification.

This is truly one incredibly comfortable bed! If you are full-timing (I'm not), you might want to consider this mattress if you have a queen size bed. Don't try it with a king, however, because the Sleep Revolution is a 76" wide king and your mattress is probably a 70".

I served my time sleeping in the woods on wet ground; This is my idea of camping!!

Attachments

• Fig_13.jpg
    Fig_13.jpg
    486.9 KB · Views: 353
  • Fig_14.jpg
    Fig_14.jpg
    469.6 KB · Views: 379
  • Fig_15.jpg
    Fig_15.jpg
    509.3 KB · Views: 401

ChopperBill

We did something similar. Put in a Spring Air foam mattress that requires no box spring. It is 6 inches of support foam and 4 inches of memory foam. It comes in a box like yours did. We have one in our stick home and is the best mattress we have found. The memory foam toppers are to spongy for me. The Spring Air has the same properties but is firmer. Here's the Link

Last edited by a moderator:

sealman

I am glad to see that you waited to open up the sealed bag until you got it on the frame. Sure makes installation easy.
John

ChopperBill

Bill;

That looks good and lots of different options.

John

BUT, its about twice as much as Fivernines! However it is about the same mattress as the Temper-pedic at half there price! However, Spring-Air has tiny holes punched out (you can barely see them) through the mattress that makes faster recovery and warm up.
O on edit: Before, with the OEM mattress and the added toppers our gas springs on the under storage would not hold it open. Now they do!

fivernine

With the king mattress, it was quite an effort for the first few inches to lift the deck, but with the queen and bedding, it is a very good balance. Still heavy enough to keep it down traveling, but half the effort to lift it.

I can't complain about the price. At $359, it was a bargain, and even at the present $399, I would strongly recommend it. It is amazingly comfortable to sleep on. Your mattress looks mighty comfortable Retired.

Sealman, It would be a chore to move after it springs open, but this way was no problem. Only took about 15-20 seconds to rise, then another couple of hours for the foam pillowtop to fully fill out.

Dfurnish

Hi, I am new to the form and currently looking to trade my motor home on the new Grand Canyon, one of the reasons we like it is the king size Bed. This thread is about down sizing to a queen size. Currently we have a sleep number king in the house and queen sleep number in the motor home. We love the king not the queen. What is the reason to change to a smaller mattress? Dave

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Hi, I am new to the form and currently looking to trade my motor home on the new Grand Canyon, one of the reasons we like it is the king size Bed. This thread is about down sizing to a queen size. Currently we have a sleep number king in the house and queen sleep number in the motor home. We love the king not the queen. What is the reason to change to a smaller mattress? Dave
Dave, the king mattress in the Heartland fits pretty snug in the slide opening and some folks have difficulty making the bed. Getting the bedding tucked down along the top end of the mattress. I don't know if this applies to all models or not. We have a king select comfort from camping world in our Bighorn. It is a 72" wide by 80" long "camper king". Because the sides of the select comfort are foam bolsters, it's not as difficult for us to tuck the bedding. We love it!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
With our 3670 and its king bed, it's really not that big a deal to make the bed. We put the mattress cover on by sliding the mattress down a bit then shove it back. The sheets and bedspread get folded down at the edge of the slide trim and the pillows piled up to cover the gap. If you've spent too much time at the all-you-can eat buffet, you might have a problem on the closet side of the bed trying to manuever. It's close even for those with a trim waist line.

SmokeyBare

Queen Size Bed... option was what we selected on ours BigHorn.

It offered a side shelf with storage below the shelf. Karen is able to put her glasses and clock radio on the shelf... along with other "Stuff". King size did not have this shelf when we ordered.

RVCamper

Yup, did the same thing... Real Bed in a Box - Serta

We did the same thing. Quite interesting seeing it emerging out of the vacuum bag. We have not slept on it yet, but seems mighty comfortable compared to the stock foam one.

I cut about 3" of wood off our bed on the hinge part of the bed to make it easier to get around. Then we put a queen matteress on it. We also used the bed cover that came with our original king bed and put that underneath the matteress to cover the wood. If we ever decide to go back to a king all we have to do is replace the plywood with a new sheet.