Surge Protector for 2015 Cyclone 50amp

OEFVET

Can anyone advise if the new rigs come with surge protection? If not what should I look for when purchasing?

OEFVET

Is it fully automatic? I want one that offers full time protection. Thank you for the recommendation.

OEFVET

Thanks after reading the product details it is exactly what I am looking for. Can you advise how far the remote display can be mounted? I'd like to have it installed in the switch hub inside. Does that make sense?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Do you mean like the photo? My unit is probably six feet from the display and there's still plenty of wire laying on the basement floor (behind the wall).

OEFVET

Yes that is exactly what I meant. I will purchase it and have it installed. Thank you for the help and the picture.

porthole

Retired
There are some things you need to be aware of when having it installed. Such as a choice of before or after the transfer switch.

Mine is installed after the transfer switch.

Your installer should take the time to make sure all the wires are tight under the clamp screws. For the Progressive EMS, the transfer switch relays and the interior circuit breaker panel.

That Progressive EMS listed above is the best bang for buck available to us.
And you have the option of installing two remotes if you choose.

Mine

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph...ins?p=135047&highlight=progressive#post135047

JohnDar

As a side note, if the wire does happen to be too short, you can make your own. As I recall, it's basically a 2-pair phone cable with the snap-in connectors on either end. You can buy the wire and a kit at HD or Lowe's with the crimping tool and an assortment of ends. I had to do that when I installed the Charge Wizard pendant on my converter because it comes with a fairly short cord.

bigdob24

I would go with the EMS. Top of the line protection.
If you have any basic skills and are comfortable you can do the install yourself.
I put the remote monitor in the storage compartment on the plug in side so I can check it when I hook up.
The unit is mounted in the basement behind the wall , had to place it where it would fit and just cut the main feed wire for the install .

chief916

Duane......why did you install it after the xfer switch??? just got done reading the install procedure from manufacterer and they were saying to install before the xfer switch. is there an advantage here in doing this??
thanx
Ben

jnbhobe

I bet one of Duane's reasons is to protect the rig from a generator malfunction, I Know he will have other reasons too. Duane is very particular about his mods.

chief916

Ok..now i'm confused. what is the difference between what you ordered ....EMS HW50C and a EMS LCHW50C????? Please forgive me. Iam more mechanical than electrical. Are they both the same thing with maybe one of them having something the other one doesnt???
thanks-Ben

JohnDar

Ok..now i'm confused. what is the difference between what you ordered ....EMS HW50C and a EMS LCHW50C????? Please forgive me. Iam more mechanical than electrical. Are they both the same thing with maybe one of them having something the other one doesnt???
thanks-Ben

The EMS HW50C comes with a wired remote display, like I show in my photo above. The LCHW50C has the display on the suppressor itself, with no remote. So to read the error codes, should one occur, you would need to have access to it. Otherwise, they perform the same functions.

porthole

Retired
I bet one of Duane's reasons is to protect the rig from a generator malfunction, I Know he will have other reasons too. Duane is very particular about his mods.

What he said.

The remote display just offers an option..
And on top of that, you can set it up with two displays.

You can that option in my link below.