Pickup Choices

TxPatriot

Texas Nomads
We are about to purchase our first RV, a Bighorn 3875FB. We have to get rid of our current Suburban and would like to get an affordable older model vehicle to tow this fifth wheel. Apparently the Diesel debate is fierce, I have had all kinds of advice! LOL....I have never been a diesel guy, but I know I need one to pull this. What do you recommend? Year, model, make? Wanted to hear from actual owners. Thanks! - Mark

jimtoo

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

You will get all kinds of answers as you have already found out. I personally have an older model GMC 2004, crewcab, duramax/Allison. I did buy the unit new and have had no problems after the original injectors were replaced (factory changeout). I have 99K and would not go any other way. Now if I was able to travel more I might go newer.

Drive one, feel it out, make the choice you feel is right for you.

Jim M

Moving thread to better area also.

Speedy

Mark, if you want to say with GM then 2004.5 to 2007 Duramax is the way to go. Power and performance without all the complicated pollution control crap. As Jon said you need to stay with newer Fords or run the risk of engine issues. I gave up on diesel Fords long ago because you couldn't keep a tranny in them longer than 80K in mileage.

DocFather

I pull 18k with a 2013 Chevy Duramax 3500HD Dually w/ air-lift bags. Never been short on power. Just short on $$$$. LOL

brianlajoie

I think you will get as many opinions as there are trucks out there. When I looked for my first (and only) truck, I found that from an engine stand point they all would meet me needs. As I got serious, I looked for issues that would bug me after owing it for awhile. I found out that there was little price difference between new trucks and late model used ones. I ended up paying about 6k more for a brand new truck than the same used one on the lot. Maybe you will find out differently.

For me, I found a problem with GM products as the driver side had no grab bar to get in. I didn't like the idea of hanging off the steering wheel to get in to my truck. I'm a big guy and the steering wheel was not meant to serve as a life line if I slipped. The other issue with GM for me was when I got into one of the new models a couple of years ago, I could wedge my hand betweeb the head lining and my head with the seat lowered all the way. From there it was almost a toss up between a Ram or a Ford. I liked the styling and features on the dodge better, but my wife liked the comfort and driving behavior of the Ford better. My wife's argument was that if we to be on the road for hours at a time, then comfort had higher priority than looks. Good luck with the process. If you haven't heard it a thousand times yet - make sure you perform an extensive PDI walkthrough on you RV.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
When I was number-crunching, our 2004 GMC Dually did not have the "stuff" to handle a heavy Bighorn like the 3875FB.

Be sure to visit fifthwheelst.com to learn about weight and what you need to safely pull a big fiver. Handing the pin weight is the weak link on many older trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
For me, I found a problem with GM products as the driver side had no grab bar to get in.

Just thought I'd mention that my 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 has a grab bar by all four doors.

I'm 6-foot and have more than enough headroom.

Plus the outside step rail makes getting in much easier!

TruckTopper-IMG_20141004_142131159.jpg

MagnoliaTom

You'll get plenty of opinions on which is your best choice. But, you didn't give a budget range. That's going to help people give you better advice. I know in Texas, and especially in Houston, good used diesel trucks still command a good price so a new truck may be a good option if you are looking at 2011 and newer models. I have an 05 ford and love it. Bought it used 2 years ago. My first diesel but I did a lot of research on it and knew the shortcomings that model.

Cjackg

I have owned several Fords and Dodge Rams over the years and now have what I like the best so far.

To me, the single most compelling feature is the Allison transmission...

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
When I was truck shopping back in July and August, used prices were right up there with new prices around here.

At least with a new one, you'll probably get a much lower interest rate . . . not to mention a warranty and most likely a couple of years of free maintainence.

Pizzadigger

Since Ford and Chevy don't make trucks your only choice is a Ram...... Think I'll go make some popcorn and pour me a beer now.

OEFVET

All depends on what is most important to you.

Best riding suspension=Chevy/GMC
Cheapest=Dodge
Work Horse=Ford

MagnoliaTom

Since Ford and Chevy don't make trucks your only choice is a Ram...... Think I'll go make some popcorn and pour me a beer now.

Apparently dodge doesn't make trucks either. They've switch names to eliminate the negative connotations associated with the brand

Discuss amongst yourselves as I too will be making popcorn. LOL

ncrzrbk

With all the recent problems with Ford powerstroke, Chevy recalls, I bought a Ram because it's a Cummins.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

TXTiger

As others have said used diesels command a high price and buying a new one will not cost that much more, will get you a lower interest rate on the loan and will come with a better warranty. The big 3: Ford, Chevy, and Dodge are all pretty much a tie with all the improvements over the years and your decision on which to purchase will be a personal choice. I went with a Ford because I liked the 5th wheel prep package Ford has. Their new 6.7 motor is great. If you buy a used Ford look for a older 7.3 model. The 6.0 and 6.4 had some issues.