SOLVED: Popping heater on 12 Landmark

Hi you all,our heater in our 12 Landmark is popping after about five minutes into a cycle then it will do it again a couple minutes later.it sounds like a jet dragster during a warm up,you drag racing fans know what I am talking about.after that it kind of sounds like it's miss firing,I have taking and blew out intake tubes for debris,any suggestions? thx Terry

danemayer

Re: Popping heater on 12 Landmark

Air/Gas mix could be the problem.

BURNER ADJUSTMENT
A symptom of too much primary air will
be a howling or screeching noise when the burner
is on (reduce air to correct) . A symptom of too
little primary air will be sooting on the exterior
vent and a distinct yellow and floating flame
(increase air to correct) . A hard blue flame is
the sign of correct adjustment . NOTE : If a sooting
condition cannot be corrected by the air adjustment
on the burner, discontinue use of furnace
until problem can be corrected by a service
agency .

Some spiders like LP. Check for adequate gas flow and a hard blue flame.

Thx,danemayer this problem is beyond my scope,so off to the RV Hospital she goes Monday morning,thx for your reply back,Terry

GOTTOYS

My guess is there's a spider nest in the venturi tube. Something about the smell attracts them. They build a nest and it partially restricts the airflow. Jut work a pipe cleaner in and out a few times to clean it..Don

Bobby A

I had the same thing happen when my rig was new, I had it in for service 3 or 4 times with various parts being replaced before they finally got it right. This has been several years ago and my memory is not what it use to be so I'm sorry I can't help with what part finally fixed the problem. Any good RV dealerships service department can remove the furnace and do what they call a bench test on it.

UPDATE on popping heater,went to the shop today,they checked propane pressure it was at only 9in. suppose to be at 11in.adjusted the pressure at the regulator,and all is good,no popping and the heater seems to be performing better.Thx for all the responses.Terry.

jbeletti

Terry - thanks for sharing the fix for this. So the regulator they adjusted to 11 WC, was that the regulator near the tank (the auto-changeover one)?

Yes it was jbeletti,but my unit doesn"t have the Auto-Changeover on it.Mine is the manual type.But thanks again for all the responses,to my heating and refrigerator problems,Terry.

I guess maybe I don't exactly know what you guys mean by Automatic changover,My valve has a black faced knob that you turn to one tank or the other,when one tank runs dry it shows red,you have to manually turn the knob to the other tank,My Brother in Law has a 2013 Bighorn and his valve looks totally different than mine.So I am not totally if mie is auto or not.,Thx,Terry

jbeletti

Terry - there are a few brands and styles of Auto-Changeover Regulators.

If both tanks are open, the device will automatically changeover to the non-empty tank when the other runs out of fuel. This is the automatic method.

The manual director, as I understand it, tells the device which tank to draw from "now/first".

Often, users will keep one tank closed and point the device valve to the other tank and use it until they run out of propane in that tank. Then they'll manually point it to the other full tank and take the empty to be refilled. This is the all-manual method.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Terry - there are a few brands and styles of Auto-Changeover Regulators.

If both tanks are open, the device will automatically changeover to the non-empty tank when the other runs out of fuel. This is the automatic method.

The manual director, as I understand it, tells the device which tank to draw from "now/first".

Often, users will keep one tank closed and point the device valve to the other tank and use it until they run out of propane in that tank. Then they'll manually point it to the other full tank and take the empty to be refilled. This is the all-manual method.

Also, the automatic switchover happens internally in the regulator. The knob does not turn by itself. You can test this by having both tanks open and turning on the furnace to get some gas flowing. Turn off the valve for whichever tank the regulator is pointing at. The regulator will turn red and you might hear a click as it internally switches to the other tank. You'll know its working because the heater will continue to run. If you now turn the regulator to the other (valve open) tank, it should turn green again.