Cellular "Hot Spot" is poor inside of RV

Wharton

Why would my Hot Spot be poor inside of trailer. Is it an Aluminium frame? Once I go outside it is 5 bars.

pegmikef

Re: Hot Spot Poor insitde of trlr

Gee, I don't know as mine works the same in and out of the trailer and mine is also a BH. I use the verizon jet pack. There isn't anything in the trailer that might be interfering with it is there? . . . e.g., another electronic device.

Wharton

Re: Hot Spot Poor inside of trlr

One phone is Ok, one is 1 bar. I bought the Straight Talk Hot Spot, I think it is ATT.

rxbristol

I know that some areas combined with structures can lead to weak signals. If you continue to have problems you may want to try a booster. There are a few on the market, just becareful and make sure it supports your signal of 3G or 4G.

jbeletti

Sue and Tom,

Consider an external antenna for your Hotspot, if it supports it. When I get Hotspots, I make sure they have an external antenna port.

There are many styles of external antennas and many sources for them. I like to use www.wpsantennas.com out of Rochester, Minnesota. Nice people with good solutions.

Wharton

I'll check out if I can have an antennae, sounds like the easiest solution. I just read where someone switched the ST phone from Att to Verizon, apparently ST will open the CDMA side of the phone and you need to but a new sim. Will check into that also.

Wharton

I don't know what changed, we haven't moved but all of a sudden it is working fine, both in and out of the trailer. Thanks everyone.

danemayer

I don't know what changed, we haven't moved but all of a sudden it is working fine, both in and out of the trailer. Thanks everyone.
May have been a problem with the tower and the vendor corrected it.

Also, in RV parks, lots of people are running various types of WiFi devices. Some are "unfriendly" and interfere with other nearby devices. If one of your neighbors left just before the signal improved, that may have been it.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

May have been a problem with the tower and the vendor corrected it.

Also, in RV parks, lots of people are running various types of WiFi devices. Some are "unfriendly" and interfere with other nearby devices. If one of your neighbors left just before the signal improved, that may have been it.

I agree with Dan. Neighbors in the park can have boosters or more powerful antenna that give them a better connection. One time at a park, I had no bars until the motorhome next door left, then I had 4 bars!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimtoo

I know of a person that was a computer guru signal stealer, grabber and had the equipment in his RV to, in some cases, completely block everyone else and use all the wifi that was available anyplace close to him. There are some people that can do it... this person was ask or demanded by park owners that he leave and not return. He has been banned from 2 very nice parks because of this that I know of.

Jim M

Wharton

I think it was a tower problem. There are hardly anyone in the park where we are located, I think I counted 6 of us in an area that could hold 100+. Whatever it was it is no solved at least for now.

Just an add-on, since your problem solved. I use Verizon's hot-spot on my android, and sometimes don't have good signal. Placing phone by the window seems to work most times. It's about $30/mo. so not real cheap.

wdk450

I just bought an $80 powered cellphone booster cradle from Wilson Electronics via Amazon, mainly for my cellphone, which has no signal in my trailer here at TT Lake of the Springs. The booster system is meant for cars, but I had previously glued an 18 inch square of sheet metal to the roof above the desk area. I placed the magnet mount stub antenna there, put my phone in the cradle, and went from "No Service" to "Fair" ("Poor is in between"). Although my MiFi 5510 seems to work in the trailer with about 1 bar, I get 3 bars when I put it in the booster cradle.