Ocean Lakes Campground

jbeletti

Hi Charles,

Thanks for the link to Ocean Lakes in SC. My have they got an informative website. The place looks very nice - if not a bit large. 893 sites - wow!

Did they have any sites that you would call "wooded". We have yet to decide on where we'll go over Labor Day in 2005. Last year we went to the Smokys (stayed in Townsend, TN).

How's that Golden Gate working out for you? Jeff just got word back from the factory on how the national RV dealer show went for them. Very exciting news for them as we understand it. I'm getting really itchy to order ours (Mt. Rushmore).

Take care,

Jim

drcarver

Grand Canyon

There are many wooded sites at the Ocean Lakes CG. However they are not at the ocean front sections. Still, all the sites are walking distance from the water.

We have the Grand Canyon and we love it. It was our first trip except for a short three day local trip. We found some small things that needed work so we have it in the dealer's service dept. right now. The main problem was the drawer rails but we are getting things worked out.

jbeletti

Hi Charles,

I think I like woods more than I like an ocean view, but I have never had to choose! Tough one... Maybe just once it would be cool to have a site with an ocean view - but then I'd be all out there in the open, no shade with blowing sand and such. It would still be nice to have that choice.

My bad on the floor plan. I like the Grand Canyon plan too. For us though, we think I need even more counter space (for food prep and such) so we're favoring the Mt. Rushmore with the optional island.

Jeff had a problem with some of his drawer glides too. The new ball-bearing drawer glides that the Heartland is planning on using in the Landmarks are very nice. We saw them at the factory at the end of October. If you are getting a repair (realignment and/or plastic guide holder replacements) only and if it does not hold up down the road, you may want to upgrade to the new glides (if possible).

Happy trails!

Jim

mowmoney

You should check out Pirateland right next to Ocean Lakes. It's just as big but doesn't feel as crowded. We've stayed at Pirateland for the last 3 years but have driven through Ocean Lakes to see if we'd like it better.

Pirateland has pavilions built on the oceanfront sites. It's great. Both campgrounds are nice but we preferred Pirateland because it seemed not as crowded around the pool areas and such. They also have wooded sites if you prefer them.

C

Craig Marten

I wish we would have read these posts before we planned our trip last month. We stayed at Barefoot Campground. It was horrible. They first put us in a site that was a challenge due to our rig length. I failed to check where the power was and only after getting into the site found out my land line was too short. We called the office and asked for the vacant site next to our site. They said we were wrong it had someone in it. I asked about site 156 that was vacant, they said they had no site 156 so we moved into it. When checking in they did not bother to tell us any of the services they had. I asked about the Wi-Fi and was told they had one. I paid the fee and the clerk said not to pay any attention to my strength meter because they had good coverage all over the park. The best reading I got was 1.0 Mbps.

All and all I would not recomment this park. I thought it was a Good Sam park when I made the reservations, I will check closer next time.

The Grand Canyon pulled like a dream.

Craig Marten

Cheryl

Craig,
Here is a great website to check out people's opinions on campgrounds all over the United States and even some Canada. We have reservations at Barefoot for July. It was the only park with a site available. Hopefully we will have better luck than you did.
http://rvparkreviews.com/

Handy

A Florida camper
State Park south of Myrtle Beach, SC

The Myrtle Beach state park is a real good place to stay there to. The rates are the same all year long $25 last time we was there and that was a full service site. Lots of trees that any Rv will fit under. You can walk to the water. The other parks there is around $55-60 a night . Staying at the state park just gives you more cash to go see a show .

tdharley

We stay at OL every year for the Myrtle beach bike week.

This will be the first year with the BH. We had a toyhauler last year and was able to backup to one of the manmade lakes. It was cool we would leave the ramp down and walk out right on the lake.

The also have a large laundromat, splash place for the kids, indoor pool, outdoor pool & small theater.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Love that OL campground. Watched my kids grow up there ,at least one week out of the year in the summer. Some of the best times of my life have been spent there with my family and friends.Still look forward to going. Now our son has his own family and pop up camper looking forward to camping on his own this year. I guess we did something right.

RugRat

Stayed at Ocean Lakes twice last year and getting ready to spend an extended weekend there next week. Real nice campground.