Inside Fuse Panel

dona

I have a 2014 Big Horn and the 12 volt fuse panel has small red lights next to each fuse. Does anyone no what they are for? If I pull a fuse out of some of them the red light will light and others it won't. Also I have a lite that stays on and when I discounted the light switch from it it still stayed lit, this light is one of the fuses that the red light will stay on if I pull the fuse out. When I took the light out and connected my test light to the wires everything worked fine, no red light at fuse panel and the light turned on and off with the light switch. It is a single light on the light switch but the fuse it uses is also for my living room lights. Could it be the LED light circuit is bad or what???????

MagnoliaTom

I don't know exactly what issues you're having, but the little red lights are supposed to signal you when you have a blown fuse.

danemayer

Hi dona,

The red LEDs indicate a blown fuse, but only if there's a load on the circuit with a return path to ground. When the fuse is good, and there's a load on the circuit (like a light that's ON), all the current flows to the load. When the fuse blows, a trickle current flows through the LED, illuminating it. A short to ground will also complete the circuit allowing the LED to be illuminated.

When you pull a fuse and the red light comes on, there's a load/path to ground on that circuit. Conversely, if the light doesn't come on, it means there's no load/path to ground on the circuit, usually because the circuit is open at the switch.

Sounds like maybe you have a short somewhere on the circuit, blowing the fuse and causing the LED to illuminate. If you disconnected the wire to the light switch, that should have removed the load and the LED should have gone out. So maybe there's a short between the fuse panel and switch. Or maybe there's something else on that circuit.

You might want to inspect the backside of the fuse panel, but you'll need to cut 12V power. You can do that by switching the battery cutoff AND turning off the circuit breaker for the Power Converter. If by chance your circuit breaker panel and fuse box are combined, you'll want to disconnect shore power and switch the battery cutoff.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The LED's will only illuminate if there is something on that circuit that is calling for 12 volt power.
An example would be if you have your ceiling lights switched on and blow a fuse, or remove it, the LED will light up.
If there are no switches turned on and you remove the fuse the LED will not light up.
So it sounds like if you have a fused circuit that the LED is lit when removing the fuse it means that there is something asking for power in that circuit.

Peace
Dave

tomhank

A red light means that there has been a mistake. This hue relates to the breaker that needs to be reset in order for the circuitry to function properly after it has tripped.