NOW A Happy Camper (Problem resolved)

bobw

December 29, 2014

Today I was informed by Artie, the Heartland Service Rep,that the adjustment for my kitchen slide out is not covered under their bumper tobumper warranty. He stated that slide outadjustments are only covered for 90 days. I tried to explain to him that my wife and I purchased a Landmark 2014Monterey trailer in January 2014 while snow birding in Florida. The trailer went from the selling dealer tothe seasonal site we rented in Florida. From there we took the trailer back to New York where it sat until willbegan our fall trip to Florida. Once wearrived back in Florida, I contacted the selling dealer to have warranty issuesaddressed.

The following are the items that required warranty work:

1. The kitchen slide out hits cabinet doorknobs. Slide out needs to be adjusted soit clears door knobs.
  2. The RV awning is coming loose on frontcorner. Needs to be reattached to trackand secured.
  3. Propane tank valve is defective. It makes a continuous noise.
  4. The sewer holding pipe bracket broke and we lostthe pipe and hose in route from NY to FL.
  5. Electrical outlets on kitchen slide out andstereo outlet do not work.
  6. Shower door handles fell off.
  7. Silverware drawer – bottom of drawer is pulledaway, causing silverware to fall into drawer below.
I find it hard to believe that you purchases a top of theline product and in less than a year Heartland will not warranty a slide outadjustment. So much for a companystanding behind their product. A very unhappy owner.

danemayer

Re: Not A Happy Camper

Hi bobw,

I think maybe you talked to a rep who was either confused, inexperienced, or in a hurry, and gave you a bad answer.

May I ask why you put this question to a Heartland Rep rather than just have the dealer do the warranty work?

bobw

I did first go to the dealer, and he said that Heartland told him that the slide was out of warranty. That's when I called Heartland and was told the same thing.

danemayer

Looking at my kitchen slide, it's hard for me to picture how the kitchen slide could be so far out of adjustment as to hit the cabinet doorknobs. On my Landmark, that would be a major malfunction covered by warranty, not a minor adjustment covered by a 90 day adjustment rule.

Can you post a picture showing what you're asking to have fixed?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

If I'm looking at it correctly (photo is rotated 90-deg.?), it almost looks like the cabinet projects too far into the room in front of the slide trim, putting the knob in the path of it. When you retract or extend the slide, does it move at an angle into the cabinets? If it does, then it's out of alignment. I found this photo of a 2014 Monterey and it looks like the gap between the edge of the slide trim and the cabinets may be tight to begin with, making the clearance past the knobs measured in angstroms.

On my 3670, the cabinet doors would have to be left open for the kitchen slide to hit the knobs. Or some big dummy leaves a bedroom cabinet door open and then extends the slide...

http://www.noblerv.com/console/watermark_large.php?src=62717

danemayer

Bob,

I'm guessing that the people at Heartland think this is some minor adjustment that you're requesting, when it really seems from the picture to be a problem that prevents normal operation.

Sometimes it's better to focus on the problem description - i.e. the slide is rubbing the cabinets when it moves in and out, than on a proposed corrective action, i.e. the slide needs to be adjusted a little.

And JohnDar might be right. It might not be the slide. Could be the cabinet wasn't installed correctly.

So maybe try calling again and this time focus on the problem description; and send them the picture.

If things don't get turned around, you might also want to ask for Tom Montague, the Landmark General Manager. He seems very concerned with quality issues and I'd guess he might not consider this a minor adjustment.

bobw

First thanks for the replys and help. Yes the photo is turned 90 degrees, as I said that was the first photo I ever put on a forum. In order to close the slide I have to remove all the cabinet knobs, and then it's still very close. I'll call Heartland tomorrow and see if I can get an email address to send the photo and tell my tail of woah. Maybe I'll get someone to listen.

DougS

Doug S

I am parked across from Bob and looked at the slide from the outside only, due to my lack of time. His slide is not installed evenly in the opening. The slide has at least 3/4 to an inch difference between the side walls to the opening. The wall to the rear of the rig has the flat weather stripping just barely touching the wall, I would be surprised if he does not have a leak in a driving rain. I hope Heartland and his dealer step up to correct the problem. I believe the wall has to be moved and centered in the opening to make both sides of the slide even in the opening. Good luck Bob.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

Moving a slide sideways would be a chore. Up or down and tilting a slide is pretty easy. Sideways...not so much.

bobw

:angel:
First let me apologies for not updating this sooner. Once Heartland had all of the facts all items were at there expense. They even called the dealer and pushed them along. THAT'S WHY YOU BUY HEARTLAND !:cool:

AAdams

Thanks for the follow up. I am glad that Heartland stepped up and fixed it for you.