Leak in sewer drain cap

co4me

I have a Golden Gate Landmark. I completely drain both grey tanks and the black tank and do a black tank flush after camping and let all the water drain out. Then after driving to the next RV park, I open the cap and about a quart of water gushes out. I have had it to two dealers who have adjusted the gate valves and say that none of the tanks are leaking. I have now involved the factory to see if they can help. The last dealer felt that the pipe leading from the tank to the drain must not be inclined and "holds" the water until I drive and the motion allows it to flow to the drain cap.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Thanks,

Bill

BigBlue

BigBlue
The last dealer you spoke to is probably correct. This is a common problem and is why Camping world sells a valve assemply you can attach to the end of your dearin. This prevents the gushing when you remove the end cap.

co4me

Sewer Drain Leaking

Big Blue - thanks for the response. Do you have this problem with your Landmark? I'll check with Camping World. Does the valve on the cap allow you to just drain off the excess before opening?

Thanks,

Bill

Tom of Ypsi

I have the same problem unless I can get the trailer lower on the drain side then all is ok. Thinking about carrying an extra board so the wife can jump out just as I pull into the dump station and have her throw the board under the passenger side tires of the trailer.

BigBlue

BigBlue
Yes I have the problem with the Landmark. We also had the problem with our previous fiver, a Montana. The valve is a gate valve just like the existing valve on your tanks. You keep it closed until you have your hose hooked up, then you can open it and that initial gush goes down the hose not on you. The cost was about $17.00 at Camping World, when I got mine.

phranc

My Previous Rv ,a Jayco Designer , would leave about a quart in the pipe .Used to just catch the extra when i took off the cap.Catch it in a pail, that is .. The Big H only seems to leave a cup or so . I still use same pail. And still pour it into the sewer pipe . Seems to be normal ,as I see other RV ers doing same thing . Altho some seem to let it fall to ground..

co4me

Sewer drain leak

Thanks to you all for your input on this. I guess I was just lucky with my first 5th wheel, Montana, as I never had the problem. I'll get the drain valve at Camping World.

Bill

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
fireflipper

HI CO4ME
I have a GRand Canyon #29, had the same problem. My trailer was in for repairs in Knoxville and the dealer installed the gate valve at the drain for me, at no cost. He stated that it is not uncommom for most rigs to do this, but the valve works great because I can hook up my drain hose and then open the valve. Success, no sewage leaks on the ground.

Doug U

I have the same problem with my 2006 Golden Gate. I finally got tired of the dealer "looking" at it for a week and pulled the bottom cover. What a mess. Some of the pipes go up hill from the tanks. I would think this is bad for draining water out of them. One of my tanks leaks at the inlet. The shower also does not drain completely, the factorys fix is raise up the front until does. I will have to walk up hill to bed each night.

Scott

Wrong info

Doug -
Don't know who told you that the "factory's fix is to leave the unit up until it drains" but it didn't come from our factory. My guys aren't that ignorant. When I asked Chris about this, he laughed because he knows that just goofy. It must have come from the dealer.

I know that you are scheduled in a dealer now, so we will get your unit taken care of.

ST